Home Forum Ask A Member mercury KD3

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    JEFFREY PLITT
    Participant

US Member

hey guys . need help again . working on the kd3 . i seem to have oil coming up the drive shaft lower seal in the gear case . only when the motor is running . prop shaft seal ok . upon disassembly there appears to be no seal there , just a brass bushing . any ideas ? thanks in advance

green-thumbs
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

There should be a “bushing” , a spring, and a seal present.
        Original seal was a bit of raw hid, A replacement can be made
        from a scrap of leather. If the drive shaft is pitted and rough in the
        area the seal contacts, seal will leak and wear. so regular replacement
        may be expected.

NOTE: only one end of drive shaft is ground to fit gear case bushing and area where seal rides. Drive shafts vary in length. If you need to
        find a replacement be sure to check lengths.
        Louis

• This reply was modified 2 years, 10 months ago by green-thumbs.
        opposedtwin
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Jeffrey,
          There have been a number of good threads this spring regarding K and KD models. Here’s one that covered ALOT of ground.

Keep in mind the singles used different gears in the gear case than did the 2 cyl models.

Good luck and keep us posted on your efforts/findings. Pictures are always interesting and are a great conversation starter.

Scott

https://www.aomci.org/forums/topic/mercury-kd4/

JEFFREY PLITT
          Participant

US Member

HEY GREEN THUMBS . after disassembly i have just a lip seal in the upper half . no spring or bushing . got a seal and gasket kit from the merc guy but none of the seals match what came out . also , this is a single cly KD3 .

green-thumbs
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

“Bushing”, spring and raw hide seal system is original factory set up.
              A metal case lip seal can be instead and would not require additional
              items. Seal can be selected from a seal catalog using shaft diameter, seal thickness and diameter of bore it is to be installed in. ‘
              Careful measurement is required.
              I have noticed that while the ground area of drive shaft seems to be a
              consistent 0.495″ the shaft size varies. As with all OLD machinery, wear,
              corrosion and other factors may be more in some than in others. No two examples will have exactly same issues. Each is a mystery to be
              explored and issues found and resolved.
              Louis.
              bb
              Allow me to back off on spacer,/bushing, spring and raw hide seal…Kiekhaefer and those who serviced motors tried a number of different methods to keep grease in and water out. By the looks of things
              none were fully successful.
              Louis

• This reply was modified 2 years, 10 months ago by green-thumbs.
              JEFFREY PLITT
              Participant

US Member

thanks you louis

fifty20ne
                Participant

US Member

Some Mercury Factory Training Charts showing springs and seals.

Chart7

Chart8

comet8

comet9

billw
                  Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I like #58, “drive shaft cork water seal….4 for 12 cents.” But I don’t see where there is a spring for the drive shaft seals, even though I think I have seen them in actual lower units. What am I missing?

Long live American manufacturing!

JEFFREY PLITT
                    Participant

US Member

SO I SEE THE CHART WITH THE SPRINGS AND BUSHINGS . I HAVE A KD3 . CHART IS FOR A KD4 . IT SEEMS TO HAVE MORE PARTS . MY KD3 HAD A LIP SEAL WHERE THE DRIVE SHAFT ENTERS THE GEAR CASE . MEASURES 130 MM INNER AND 180 MM OUTER .

opposedtwin
                      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Look closely at the two types of drive shaft seal set ups in the lower right of each drawing. The old style with a spacer and 3 cork seals was replaced by the new style using a spring, a spacer and a modern lip seal.

0869964D-D67E-44BF-AD35-DEB1E26EC781

DB89A348-0B1A-4AB9-99CE-10C6BC631EDA

• This reply was modified 2 years, 10 months ago by opposedtwin.
                        • This reply was modified 2 years, 10 months ago by opposedtwin.
                      Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 13 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.