Home Forum Ask A Member Motor Hoist Suggestions

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    bobw
    Participant

US Member

So between a bad back and upcoming hernia repair surgery my doc says no more lifting heavy items which cramps my outboard repair work. I need some ideas for a simple engine hoist I can rig up that will allow me to pick a motor off the floor and set it on my work stand or lift it in or out of the bed of the truck. I don’t want to spend $200 for a rolling automotive type engine hoist so I’m thinking of a simple block and tackle arrangement I can hang from the shop rafters. I thought about rigging up several different hanging points which would give me flexibility in hoisting locations around the shop. Any suggestions, ideas or pics on motor hoists would be appreciated.

Bob

1937 Champion D2C Deluxe Lite Twin
      1954 Johnson CD-11
      1957 Evinrude Fastwin 18
      1958 Johnson QD-19
      1958 Johnson FD-12
      1959 Johnson QD-20

“Every 20 minute job is only a broken bolt away from a 3-day project.”
      "Every time you remove a broken or seized bolt an angel gets his wings."

reivertom
      Participant

US Member

You can buy or make a 2 pulley block and tackle pretty cheap. They do the same work with half the effort. I also have a 3 pulley I use for heavier things. I just re-enforced the ceiling joist of my garage and installed a heavy duty eye bolt. I wrap a sling around my motor, if it’s an older one without a lifting eye. I also have a single pulley one with a boat trailer wench. You just need to make sure to strengthen the rafters before lifting anything too heavy. There are many cheap ATV wenches around that you could rig also.

bill-loveland
        Participant

I bought two of these – Hoyer hydraulic patient hoist – on craigslist last winter – $100 for the pair, virtually new. They’re rated for 450 pounds and break down into easily manageable pieces. Very handy for lifting big outboards, or maneuvering motors into position, such as the cast iron Kohler on my garden tractor.

frankr
          Participant

US Member

We used a section of barn door track bolted to the ceiling with a hoist suspended from the trolly. Trolly could move between workbench stand, test tank, etc.

george-emmanuel
            Participant

US Member

Boy, I wish we had a "Like" button so I could echo Frank’s idea. I have all my motors on homemade stands with casters. In the carport there is a Harbor Freight winch mounted right where the transom of the boat is when the trailer is backed in. Hoist the motor, back the boat up, lower the motor and you’re in like sin!

George

bobw
              Participant

US Member

By sheer coincidence after submitting this inquiry I happened on a nearby home just a short while ago that recently burned down. The place was a total loss but the guy salvaged some of his garage equipment including a rolling car engine hoist that looks to be in good condition. Tracked the guy down and made him an offer for it – said he wanted to think about it while he sorts out his next move on another house. If this doesn’t work out I think I’ll just rig up a block and tackle on some kind of overhead rail that will allow me several feet of travel distance. I also keep my motors on mobile workstands but just need some lifting assistance. Appreciate everyone’s input.

Bob

1954 Johnson CD-11
                1957 Evinrude Fastwin 18
                1958 Johnson QD-19
                1958 Johnson FD-12
                1959 Johnson QD-20

kerry
                Participant

US Member

Some type of overhead rolling trolley with one of these. 12v battery makes it portable for the driveway or garage without a cord in the way. Easier on the back than pumping a hydraulic jack, wireless remote is nice. https://www.harborfreight.com/2500-lbs- … 61840.html

If you have too many, AND not enough, you're a collector.

outbdnut2
                  Participant

US Member

Here is an electric overhead hoist for $99:

https://www.harborfreight.com/440-lbs-electric-hoist-with-remote-control-60346.html

Here’s a photo of what I use:
                    Dave

bobw
                    Participant

US Member

Dave,

Saw that hoist on Harbor Freight. Guess my doctor would still let me push a button!
                      What is that hydraulic hoist you use? Brand? Where to buy? Cost?

thanks.

Bob

1954 Johnson CD-11
                      1957 Evinrude Fastwin 18
                      1958 Johnson QD-19
                      1958 Johnson FD-12
                      1959 Johnson QD-20

Buccaneer
                      Participant

US Member

After trying to lift the RDE-17 Johnson onto the stand, I was
                        thinking of taking the Charles Atlas Training Program.

Attachments:

Prepare to be boarded!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 15 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.