Home Forum Ask A Member Neptune 1940 6HP coil

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    bob-d
    Participant

US Member

Hi All, trying to revive a 1940 Neptune 6HP with a dead Eisemann 72A coil. After doing some research it seems that the old Maytag gas cloths washers washers from the 40’s had a similar coil setup from Eisemann. Does anyone know if they would retrofit into an outboard motor, and produce enough spark to run a 6 horse vs. a 5/8HP washer motor? If not, any lead on where I can obtain a coil would be great. Unfortunately Doug Penn doesn’t have any.
      Also if anyone has a scan of a parts breakdown for this motor, it would be much appreciated.
      Thanks,
      Bob D

wedgie
      Participant

Here’s a link (though I don’t see 72a listed) Might be of some help I hope. I heard a John Deere pony motor coil will work .

http://www.oldcroak.com/eisemann/

wedgie
        Participant

In case you haven’t found this :

http://johnsoldmercurysite.com/whitepap … ge127.html

kevinf
          Participant

If you find out let me know I need a coil for a Waterwitch twin and have been wondering the same thing. There are a couple of folks out there offering new Maytag coils. I wonder if anyone has approached them on the issue?

Kev

Mumbles
            Participant

Bob, it looks like your mag plate has two single coils mounted on it instead of a single dual firing coil. Maybe not.

There’s repro coils on Ebay…kind of pricey though.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HOT-NEW-Maytag- … vkt3DxFkxw

You might have better luck here and also have a good read about the history of the Maytag mags.

http://www.magnetoparts.com/maytag_mag.htm

bob-d
              Participant

US Member

Thanks everyone.
                Mumbles, I saw those on EBay and called the company. If I get desperate enough may spring for them but, they told me that they have never tried them on an outboard, and that they would not guarantee that they work. Could be a $150 mistake, more than the motor! Since my electrical knowledge is lacking,I don’t know if they are right? That’s exactly what mine looks like, 2 separate coils (that look like donuts) that fit on a 5/8" core vs. the smaller Wico type core. The two coils are joined together by a single wire, and have the sparkplug wire tangs on the sides.
                The Neptune fires both cylinders together, (opposed twin) don’t know how the Maytags work, but that wouldn’t be a property of the coil, that would be the points right? Maybe someone with electrical knowledge could chime in. The Maytag coils supposinly put out 8K ohms across the spark plug tangs, don’t know what the Neptune needs?
                Spoke to Doug Penn and he mentioned that Maytags coils should work? I guess my next step would be to get ahold of Art DeKalb, as he runs a great Neptune website.
                So a bit confused.
                Bob D

Mumbles
                Participant

The same seller also has single coils for a WICO mag.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HOT-NEW-Maytag- … 1641148491

Did you see the prices on my second link above? Almost half of what the Ebay ones are.

bob-d
                  Participant

US Member

Thanks Mumbles, I definitely would need the double one that would fit the Eisemann larger 5/8" core. The Wico’s that came out later have a smaller core. Just don’t know if the power supplied by this guys coil would run an outboard vs. the Maytag 5/8 HP washer motor?
                    Spoke to the guy from the second website (green) yesterday, yes better more affordable prices. I sent him some pictures. He has just moved and his machine shop has not been set up yet. He is going to see if he could help.
                    Will keep you posted, on the great Eisemann / Maytag / Neptune mystery.
                    Bob D

The Boat House
                    Participant

Bob D
                      Sent you a PM.

bob-d
                      Participant

US Member

Just wanted to give everyone an update regarding finding a coil.
                        Went onto the Smokstak forum under Maytag 72 coil conversions, and a few of the members posted using older Briggs & Stratton 392329 coils. Apparently this is an NLA part number. Went on Ebay and there was one for $29, which was a heck of a lot better than the $150 coils floating around as replacements on the internet.
                        As you can see from the first picture the replacement comes off the core by gently spreading it from the middle. I found this out the hard way after I spent about 20 minutes with a Dremel trying to cut the core in half….duh. The only adjustment necessary to make it fit after removed from original core was some grinding and filing on the original 5/8" core pictured below. The condenser was also leaking, according to my Mercotronic, and I used a Mumbles (hope you don’t mind that I reposted your picture) Vishay .22uf 850V replacement that I found at Digikey (part numbers below).
                        Buttoned it all up and low and behold……. it had great spark. I haven’t tested the motor in a tank yet, as I am now going through the carb, but I believe it should run.
                        Hope this helps anyone that uses this type of Eisemann ignition.
                        Bob D

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 29 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.