Home Forum Ask A Member Neptune 1940 6HP coil

Viewing 9 posts - 21 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    b-morrison
    Participant

Canada Member

Found a dealer who had one , off the shelves and in the basement. The taking apart of the coil was tricky as Bob had said but didn’t explain, so I learned. Thats the fun of this site. Always something to learn. Will let youse know how it all turns out. Now to find the capacitor…..

b-morrison
      Participant

Canada Member

Got the coil together and fly wheel on. Almost back together and I had to try. A little gas and we got ignition.This is just plain exciting …..or I gotta get a life (LOL)

bob-d
        Participant

US Member

Mr. Morrison,
          Yea it’s a great feeling when some " modern" ignition parts can be retrofitted to change these old gems from boat anchors to working motors again. One of my favorite coil retrofits is the Mercury chain saw coils for Elto Cubs.
          For the Neptune revival I used the capacitors that Mumbles had listed in a older post, they work great. I bought a bunch of different values and now use them for all of my motors.
          Bob D

Buccaneer
          Participant

US Member

Bob, How did this motor end up running with the B&S Coil swap?
            I have a Neptune 6 hp with a dead coil, so am interested.
            Thanks!

Prepare to be boarded!

bob-d
            Participant

US Member

Buc, unfortunately don’t have a definitive answer. The coil fit well, and gave it a nice spark, but I actually never started it. Got interested in another motor and sort of put it on the back burner. I don’t see why it wouldn’t work. It gave a good spark.
              Bob D

Buccaneer
              Participant

US Member

Buc, unfortunately don’t have a definitive answer. The coil fit well, and gave it a nice spark, but I actually never started it. Got interested in another motor and sort of put it on the back burner. I don’t see why it wouldn’t work. It gave a good spark.

Bob D

Thanks for your reply Bob. Most of the ones I find with the same B&S part number that you used,
                are the new aftermarket ones. They don’t state if they’ll work with standard “points and condenser”
                systems, and the coil looks to be a lot different in shape than the old ones. Also not sure if they
                would remove from the laminates as the old B&S style. Did see an OEM one on EBay for $35,
                but it said “used”.
                Any thoughts on the new, “Aftermarket” coils working to replace a defunct Eisemann 72A coil? Anyone?
                Thanks.

Prepare to be boarded!

bob-d
                Participant

US Member

Buc, mine was a NOS B&S, which I found on EBay. It was a a few years ago. I guess I just got lucky.
                  Bob D

itchy
                  Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Stephen Andres, AOMCI member has Neptune parts, You might try him.

Buccaneer
                    Participant

US Member

I have an old style Briggs and Stratton coil coming.
                      Hopefully it’s a good one, and it adapts okay!

Prepare to be boarded!

Viewing 9 posts - 21 through 29 (of 29 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.