Home Forum Ask A Member New coils no spark 1956 15 hp evinrude

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 51 total)
  • Author
    trainsnmore
    Participant

Installed new coils, spark plug wires & cleaned points. No spark on either cylinder. ?? Coils primary and secondary were checked.

pm-t2
      Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

Make sure you connected the coil wires to the correct set of points. Set your point gaps at 0.020″ when open.

Hope it helps.

Best, PM T2

dave-bernard
        Participant

US Member

may be bad condensers

labrador-guy
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Make sure your points are CLEAN! If you put in new points clean them also. VERY important!

dale

fleetwin
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Did you set the coil air gaps properly? Is the point cam installed right side up, don’t know if it is possible to install it upside down though…

jeff-register
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Check everything with an electrical meter as assembled. You can bet you have bad capicators too. Have a Merc o tronic test tool ? I check for resistance in the points assembly, also will show E faults. Most multi meters have a capacitance setting although it doesn’t “load” test the cap. By the way what exactly does a condensor condense? ……Moonshine?? Out dated term for a capacitor.

Evinrude 25
                Participant

I had encountered the same thing. The coil needs need to be located in correct position to get the good air gap (it is better with the coil set up ring (ID = 4.468″). I got this number from the web and made the ring. It worked well. Then you need to set up the timing correctly. Forget about 0.020″ gap, just go with timing by the multimeter method and get the spark right away! But just make sure the condenser is good first.

trainsnmore
                  Participant

How did you make the ring? I’ve done everything. I think it is probably the air gap since I had to put new coils on the engine.

Evinrude 25
                    Participant

I have an aluminum tubing with 6″ OD and 4.0″ ID. I slide it 1.25″ thick and put in the lathe to bore out to 4.468″ ID. and clean up both sides to make it look good. You don’t need 1.25″ thick, It could be 1″ thick. If you don’t have tubing, just use 6″ x 6″ x 1″ or 3/4″ plate and bore out the ID. It does not look good but square plate with this ID could serve the purpose.

trainsnmore
                      Participant

I took my digital caliper and set it to your dimension and checked across the coils. I had a reading of 4.464. This is from the original installation of the new coils. Do you think I can set the air gap this way bearing in mind to watch the circumference points of the coils not touching the flywheel.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 51 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.