New coils no spark 1956 15 hp evinrude

Home Forum Ask A Member New coils no spark 1956 15 hp evinrude

Currently, there are 0 users and 1 guest visiting this topic.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 47 total)
    trainsnmore

Replies: 13
    Topics: 3

Installed new coils, spark plug wires & cleaned points. No spark on either cylinder. ?? Coils primary and secondary were checked.

pm-t2

Canada Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 422
    Topics: 18

Make sure you connected the coil wires to the correct set of points. Set your point gaps at 0.020″ when open.

Hope it helps.

Best, PM T2

dave-bernard

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 1211
    Topics: 16

may be bad condensers

labrador-guy
    labrador-guy

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 404
    Topics: 40

Make sure your points are CLEAN! If you put in new points clean them also. VERY important!

dale

fleetwin

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 3481
    Topics: 52

Did you set the coil air gaps properly? Is the point cam installed right side up, don’t know if it is possible to install it upside down though…

jeff-register

Replies: 1223
    Topics: 49

Check everything with an electrical meter as assembled. You can bet you have bad capicators too. Have a Merc o tronic test tool ? I check for resistance in the points assembly, also will show E faults. Most multi meters have a capacitance setting although it doesn’t “load” test the cap. By the way what exactly does a condensor condense? ……Moonshine?? Out dated term for a capacitor.

Evinrude 25

Replies: 39
    Topics: 7

I had encountered the same thing. The coil needs need to be located in correct position to get the good air gap (it is better with the coil set up ring (ID = 4.468″). I got this number from the web and made the ring. It worked well. Then you need to set up the timing correctly. Forget about 0.020″ gap, just go with timing by the multimeter method and get the spark right away! But just make sure the condenser is good first.

trainsnmore

How did you make the ring? I’ve done everything. I think it is probably the air gap since I had to put new coils on the engine.

Evinrude 25

I have an aluminum tubing with 6″ OD and 4.0″ ID. I slide it 1.25″ thick and put in the lathe to bore out to 4.468″ ID. and clean up both sides to make it look good. You don’t need 1.25″ thick, It could be 1″ thick. If you don’t have tubing, just use 6″ x 6″ x 1″ or 3/4″ plate and bore out the ID. It does not look good but square plate with this ID could serve the purpose.

trainsnmore

I took my digital caliper and set it to your dimension and checked across the coils. I had a reading of 4.464. This is from the original installation of the new coils. Do you think I can set the air gap this way bearing in mind to watch the circumference points of the coils not touching the flywheel.

trainsnmore

I took my digital caliper and set it to your dimension and checked across the coils. I had a reading of 4.464. This is from the original installation of the new coils. Do you think I can set the air gap this way bearing in mind to watch the circumference points of the coils not touching the flywheel.

Evinrude 25

Yes, before I made the ring, I used to line up the coils with the boss and check with the caliper. It worked OK too but with the ring, it would be a quicker set up.

RICHARD A. WHITE
    RICHARD A. WHITE

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 1766
    Topics: 136

trainsnmore, I sent you a private message

http://www.richardsoutboardtools.com
    classicomctools@gmail.com

trainsnmore

How do I check continuity from end of spark plug wire to the coil?

pm-t2

Canada Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 422
    Topics: 18

These systems are so simple. If the parts are good, you can almost always put a no spark condition down to either something grounded out that shouldn’t be or wires run to something they shouldn’t be.

You haven’t answered my original question. Did you verify that the coils are connected to the proper set of points? You can set the coil positions and test the shit all you want. If the coils are hooked to the wrong set of points, it will not fire no matter how mad you get at it. Or me. Not that I care, lol.

All of this crap about air gap and distances and using setting rings is overthinking personified. Jeez. I’ve been setting OMC points since I was a kid and never used any special ignition tools or devices. I use a screwdriver to remove and replace them. I use my effing thumb to position them on the mag plate. The coil heels can only get shoved in so far. The only thing I’ve ever worried abuot is if the heels hit the flywheel or not. If they hit, shift them inward. If they don’t hit, leave it alone. I’ll stack any motor I’ve tuned up against anybody elses. I’ll guarantee you that theirs won’t run any better than mine, whether they used special tools or not. It ain’t rocket science, eh.

Best,
    PM T2

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 47 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.