Home Forum Ask A Member New coils no spark 1956 15 hp evinrude

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 51 total)
  • Author
    trainsnmore
    Participant

I took my digital caliper and set it to your dimension and checked across the coils. I had a reading of 4.464. This is from the original installation of the new coils. Do you think I can set the air gap this way bearing in mind to watch the circumference points of the coils not touching the flywheel.

Evinrude 25
      Participant

Yes, before I made the ring, I used to line up the coils with the boss and check with the caliper. It worked OK too but with the ring, it would be a quicker set up.

RICHARD A. WHITE
        Participant

Lifetime Member

trainsnmore, I sent you a private message

http://www.richardsoutboardtools.com
          classicomctools@gmail.com

trainsnmore
          Participant

How do I check continuity from end of spark plug wire to the coil?

pm-t2
            Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

These systems are so simple. If the parts are good, you can almost always put a no spark condition down to either something grounded out that shouldn’t be or wires run to something they shouldn’t be.

You haven’t answered my original question. Did you verify that the coils are connected to the proper set of points? You can set the coil positions and test the shit all you want. If the coils are hooked to the wrong set of points, it will not fire no matter how mad you get at it. Or me. Not that I care, lol.

All of this crap about air gap and distances and using setting rings is overthinking personified. Jeez. I’ve been setting OMC points since I was a kid and never used any special ignition tools or devices. I use a screwdriver to remove and replace them. I use my effing thumb to position them on the mag plate. The coil heels can only get shoved in so far. The only thing I’ve ever worried abuot is if the heels hit the flywheel or not. If they hit, shift them inward. If they don’t hit, leave it alone. I’ll stack any motor I’ve tuned up against anybody elses. I’ll guarantee you that theirs won’t run any better than mine, whether they used special tools or not. It ain’t rocket science, eh.

Best,
              PM T2

trainsnmore
              Participant

Here are a couple pictures. One of the old and the new. I believe they are right. Let me know if you disagree.

trainsnmore
                Participant

E327C7E8-7D54-44F8-8B68-35BF97C96960

9D416CF0-6F93-4D29-9556-926ABA9A6CEC

• This reply was modified 3 years, 6 months ago by trainsnmore.
                  • This reply was modified 3 years, 6 months ago by Mumbles.
                  crosbyman
                  Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

How do I check continuity from end of spark plug wire to the coil?

with coils primaries connected (one is grounded)

stick one probe of the VOM in the plug boot spring clip and one touching the engine body set the meter above 10K ohms range or better yet use a digital meter

you MUST see 4-8Kohms on each wire if not the coil secondaries are open or the plug wires are open

simple test … post results

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

crosbyman
                    Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

see pic

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

Evinrude 25
                      Participant

Look good to me! you should get the spark.

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 51 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.