Home Forum Ask A Member New coils no spark 1956 15 hp evinrude

Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 51 total)
  • Author
    labrador-guy
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Coils reading looks good to me. Now find the old points clean them and put them back in. DO NOT touch the contacts when installing the points. Like Mister Fleetwin says set the points on the high spot and make them 20 thousands. Make sure the coils do not hit the flywheel. It should make ligtning! Your motor will run as good as any other OMC. Points might have a film on then once they fire a couple times you’ll be making smoke.

dale

crosbyman
      Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

resistance should be the same at the plug boot clips…. if not something is corroded or frayed or broken

keep all coil wires away from rotating parts

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

The Boat House
        Participant

trainsnmore
          Participant

Hi,
            No, I have been busy with something else. But I did get the ring to set the coils air gap. I plan to try it out tomorrow. Last checked I had 8.8 and 9.5 from the secondary to the spark plug wire clips. Will give the result of this. I want to thank everyone who helped me thus far.

mercuryman
            Participant

I agree with you PM T2

trainsnmore
              Participant

OK folks we have ignition 😊🚂. I reset the coils with the ring I purchased from Richard White and now have good spark in both cylinders. I tried Tubs idea with the drill and had spark within 5 seconds. Two more things to do. Carburetor and water pump. Then it’s to the paint booth. Many thanks again to everyone who helped me on this motor.
                Sincerely
                Trainsnmore
                🚂🚂🚂🚂

trainsnmore
                Participant

I sent out a response earlier but don’t see it. So here is a second. I now have ignition. Good spark in both cylinders. Two items left, carburetor and water pump. Once again I want to thank Everyone thus far for your help.
                  Sincerely
                  Trainsnmore

Just installed new coils on my 53 25 horse. No spark. Took it all apart and put my ohm meter across main and secondary. Then took the alligater off and connected it to spark lead. No readings on either coil. Could i have been sold 2 bad ones?

crosbyman
                  Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

this post is 4 years old  it it is recommend to open your own  post  (topic) and not  resurect old ones….so as not to get  things confused.

your secondaries  HV  pins should read  4-8 KOhms  when measured with one of the primaries.     if you are on the proper  scale of your meter. 

your  primaries should read  close to 0-1 ohms  between them selves.

reading  OPEN  from the boots   plug connections may show OPEN  if corroded or open in a bent section of the plug wires

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

Sorry

Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 51 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.