Home Forum Ask A Member New Guy! First motor!

Viewing 10 posts - 31 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • Author
    crosbyman
    Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

spray some wd40 before the job…which isn’t so difficult

to remove that nut you can use a 1/4 inch impact screw driver with a 3/8 inch socket adapter plus a 3/4 socket

the impacts will usually release the nut with no flywheel strap 🙂

use a torque wrench to get the nut back on properly

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

jeff-register
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Yellow stone,
        If I may say also don’t jerk on the rewind to start, it will hurt the engaging pins. Pull out until it engages, then let her rip. I have a 54 Evinrude but not used much anymore. I always ran it on 24/1 oil ratio until I read the inside of the hood. Evinrude stated instructions stated for ease of mixing add one quart to a five gallon of gas container, add 1 gallon of gas, then shake & mix. Add the other 3 3/4 gallons of gas to make 5 gallons of fuel. I don’t know the ratio, little less than 24/1 mix but I NEVER had any issues & ALWAYS had the same easy mix.

jeff-register
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

When removing the flywheel it may pop but not leave the motor. Tighten up the three smaller bolts EVEN but not into the coil under the flywheel. Tighten the center “remover” bolt until very tight, then tap on the puller bolt to loosen, repeat. Never go too tight as to pull the threads out of the flywheel. It will come out..
          Mumbles?
          Does this model have two grounding wires on the coil? I think not but not sure. Clean the magneto very well, some greases conduct energy robbing the coils of power.
          Be very careful with this motor, many aluminum threads that strip easy.

Yellowstone
          Participant

Thanks all. See attached pic. So you are saying, have the bottom of the screws not go into the threads at all? Just line up with them? So then just tap the black center bolt until it pops or comes lose?BTW, in this pic, the screws (I bought and tried a variety of machine screws and bolts to see which threaded the best) are threaded in but not past the bottom of the top of the flywheel if that makes sense.

IMG_0157-1

• This reply was modified 4 years, 8 months ago by Mumbles.
            crosbyman
            Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

you must turn the center bolt (3/4inch) to pull the flywheel upwards and it will suddenly pop loose

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

Mumbles
              Participant

You should be using grade eight 1/4 X 20 bolts with the puller. The screws you’re using look like cheapo screws from Home Depot and they will stretch or snap off (usually in the flywheel) if over stressed. Once you get the motor running, use 16:1 fuel mix in it. Any TCW III two-stroke oil will work fine.

Einstein-Water

Yellowstone
                Participant

Thanks. I think I was misreading earlier some suggesting NOT to thread the three screws into the flywheel. That was confusing me. All the videos I’ve watched show them threaded into the flywheel before turning the center bolt for removal. I will get the better bolts.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 8 months ago by Yellowstone.
                  fleetwin
                  Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Where are you located? Would love to get you together with some local members so you can attend a future meet….I’m sure many members have affordable 5.5/7.5hp OMCs that will provide plenty of valuable servicing experience, and fun doing it…..Don’t forget the pressure tank, one that is rusted/or fouled inside is useless….D

Yellowstone
                    Participant

New London, Minnesota, about two hours to the west of Minneapolis. I have researched and am planning to go to some Gopher chapter meets. And join. Would love to connect with anyone “local” in the meantime. Thanks!

BTW, popped the flywheel off tonight. Will work on the coil and everything this weekend. Also changing the impeller, I have that lower unit disassembled now. I will check the Johnson service manual Mumbles sent but any lube needed on that after cleaning everything out?

jeff-register
                      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Yellowstone,
                        I posted the screw instructions. Many have taken the screws deeper than the threads of the flywheel & destroying a coil underneath. Know the depth of the threads on the flywheel & use all the threads to get a good bite but no deeper please. Sorry for the miscommunication. Measrure the three points of hardware to get the puller level with the flywheel to get a straight pull.
                        Jim is correct, you need at least grade 6 or 8 1/4 x 20 hardware to stay out of trouble!

Viewing 10 posts - 31 through 40 (of 42 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.