Home Forum Ask A Member New Johnson Rope Pull Handles.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    huntleybill
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Hi All
      Looking to buy a rope pull handle for my 1958 Johnson 10HP and a mid ’50’s Johnson 25HP. I bought some from Big Rich on ebay but the holes for the rope are too small. I also saw that NYMarine has them but they seem expensive.

Wanted to ask you what other resources (if any) there are to get these? Just wanted to make sure I checked out all my options before pulling the trigger!

Thank you
      Bill

crosbyman
      Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

depends how bad you want to restore … lots of pull handles on amazon ….

https://www.amazon.ca/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=mower+pull+handle

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

huntleybill
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Thank you. Problem with Amazon it they aren’t “Johnson” rope pulls. They are generic and I am looking for something closer to original. Guess I should have mentioned that!

The Boat House
          Participant

stanley
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

“I bought some from Big Rich on ebay but the holes for the rope are too small.” Can’t you just ream the holes to fit?

huntleybill
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Yes, Mr. Tubs, I did get the rope pulls from Rich. The holes are too small.
                Yes stanley, I did try to ream them out ( actually drill them out) but it just tore up the handles. Ruined two of them trying to make the holes bugger!

fisherman6
                Participant

US Member - 2 Years

How big is the starter rope you are using? I have used several of Big Rich’s pull handles and I like them. I use a piece of 0.030″ MIG welding wire and poke the wire through the end of the rope. Put the rope in the middle of the 12-16″ long wire and bend the ends together and kind of flatten it to the sides of the rope. Poke the two MIG wire ends thru the hole in the handle. Hold the pull in one hand and grab the ends of the MIG wire with pliers and pull it thru. Works like a charm. I’m using #6 (3/16″ diameter) solid braid True Blue starter rope on everything from 3hp-25hp without an issue.
                  -Ben

OldJohnnyRude on YouTube

• This reply was modified 5 years, 4 months ago by fisherman6.
                  huntleybill
                  Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Well, for the 25 HP, it is the cable wrapped in cloth rope. It is pretty thick. It is in excellent condition so I wanted to re- use it. I could not even get the rope started in the hole much less pull it through with MIG wire. I contacted Rich and he is sending a replacement even tho I (and not him)wrecked the original one he sent. (Thank you Rich).

He suggested freezing the rope pull, then drilling the hole bigger. I may try that and see what happens.

stanley
                    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

If all else fails,try Dan Gano at ganotech.com I got a NOS handle for my RD14 from him.His price was very reasonable.

sydinnj
                      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

A couple of things, one if I remember right, I believe that once I was told that when cutting rubber to use water as a lubricant, maybe it will work for drilling.
                        second is I have a 1951 25hp Johnson that had very little use. I got it and started using it about 1980 or 81. I also thought that my starter cord looked in great shape, the problem is that you can not see the internal wire. I was out visiting someone at an island. Went to leave, gave a pull to start it and the rope broke right where it went into the handle. I had to pull the cover and starter assembly loosing the metal ring that the cord passes out through the cover. outboard were new to me back then. Then I could start it to get back to base.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 12 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.