Home Forum Ask A Member new to outboards

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    codymo
    Participant

i ended up buying an old outboard the other day and after being on this website reading for 2 days off and on i think i might want to restore it. can anybody tell me if its worth restoring or if im better off selling it and finding another to restore? from what i can tell its a 59 3hp lightwin. does the 50th anniversary make this motor more desireable than other years?

89198117_3329918927021656_6046837061074288640_n

89338095_3329919040354978_2630047911177617408_n

89254792_3329918993688316_5713035990990323712_n

• This topic was modified 4 years, 1 month ago by Mumbles.
      fleetwin
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Well that is a beauty, 1959 was Evinrude’s golden anniversary, 50 years in business… Looks like she will clean up just fine, no cosmetic work needed. These are great little engines and are usually worth the time and effort to rejuvenate them…
        But, like everything else, just because it looks good, doesn’t mean it is OK mechanically. So, you will want to do some basic inspections to ensure it is in decent mechanical shape. First, just have a close look at everything. Any cracks or bent castings? Next, remove the fuel tank cap and have a look inside with a light. Is it clean inside, or is it fouled/rusted. Pretty tough to clean one of these tanks, and you wouldn’t want to substitute another one if it wasn’t the same year and in decent cosmetic condition. Next, pull the plugs and do a compression test. These engines don’t have a lot of compression, so you will only see between 70-80PSI.
        Finally, remove the lower gearcase oil drain screw for a few seconds. How does the oil look? It should be very dark in color, unless it was recently changed. A frothy/milky color indicates there is some water leakage inside the gearcase. Raw water draining out spells real trouble.
        If the engine passes all of the tests/inspections I have prescribed, then it is safe to say it is surely worth rejuvenating. Here is a brief description of the work that will be needed to make this little beauty a reliable daily runner:
        The ignition system will need to be overhauled, you will probably find that the ignition coils have cracked apart and are not usable. The engine will probably need new points, condensers, and plugs also.
        The fuel system will need to be overhauled also. Starting with the tank filter, copper line, and valve. The carb will need to be rebuilt also.
        The gearcase will have to be removed, gear lube changed, and water pump impeller changed.
        The service parts I have described will probably cost around $100, plus your labor and time. Having this work done at an outboard shop will probably cost an additional $200-300 depending on your location. Have you had any experience working on outboards, what mechanical experience do you have?
        None of the work I have described is very difficult to do, but the devil is in the details…
        Finally, don’t rejuvenate this engine thinking you will sell it for a big profit. Unfortunately, old outboards like this just aren’t worth as much as they should be….Don

codymo
        Participant

i guess i should have said more about the condition it does look great like some normal wear and tear is all. since posting i decided to go see if it wanted to run and it did! i drained out the gas that was the color of black coffee and used my bore camera to check out the tank….other than some gas i didnt get out at first (i thought i had shook it every way possible to get it out…….wrong!) it was very clean inside so i used a syringe with a hose on it to suck out all the gas. then i rinsed the tank with fresh gas and dumped a little in. the fuel shut off was luckily turned off while it sat and it must have been ran out of fuel because the carb was a little but dusty but no junk in it and worked perfectly. check lower unit and the oil is very old but no water in it at all. replaced oil and fired up second pull. ran rough for about 10 seconds and then purred like it was new at the dealer. it does need a water pump but i fully expected that. the lady i got it from guessed it was sitting on her garage floor and i was the first person to pick it up in 25+years. i was there buying a cheapo fishing boat that was last registered in 79 so im guessing this motor was stored around the same time. im not sure if im going to keep this motor or not but i will for sure be keeping an eye out for more cool old outboards. i know most of the time it isnt this easy but i really enjoyed it and wont hesitate to try to own a few more oldies.

codymo
          Participant

also how do i find the model number? i am wanting to order a new impeller but im not sure what model i actually have

frankr
            Participant

US Member

A 1959 would be a model 3030. Number should be on a plate on stern bracket. Impeller is 277181, replaced by 0434424 (Sierra 18-3001)

fleetwin
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Be sure to mix the fuel/oil at a 16:1 mixture…This engine needs the heavy oil mix because it just uses plain bushings on the connecting rods, no needle bearings….Run it light on oil and it will probably throw a rod….

joecb
                Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Looks like a real nice motor. Be sure to be gentle when cleaning so as not to damage the nice decals. I would start with just a soft rag with Dawn dish soap to cut the dirt. If after that you feel the need to brighten up the paint, lightly with a automotive clear coat polish… not rubbing compound.
                  Then bring it to a local meet and show it off.
                  Joe B

• This reply was modified 4 years, 1 month ago by joecb.
                  crosbyman
                  Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years
                    seakaye12
                    Participant

US Member

That’s the sort of motor that all of us look for; maybe a few scars here and there but over-all a very nice very clean original which has most likely never been messed with.

They are only original ONCE.

Go through the mechanicals as needed and has been stated above…..be very gentle with the paint and decals.

Those motors will idle down to a crawl…..they are famous for that.

If you can….try and get some information as to it’s use; who bought it….where they bought it….who’s kid got to go fishing with Dad ….that sort of stuff. It’s kinda nice that a motor’s story goes with it.

crosbyman
                      Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

you probably need to pull the flywheel and change the 2 coils if original (excellent investment) refurbishing the carb 9cleaning it might do also) all the electricals & pump etc.. will run you around 75-100$ but well worth your time and effort

if you can try to measure the compression ….you should run 75psiand up hopefully and within 10% bad compression could be just a blown gasket easy to change

see what to expect on bad coils and cheap supply

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/2x-Ignition-Coil-For-Johnson-Evinrude-OMC-Replaces-584477-0584477-582995-A-/184030084254?hash=item2ad90c3c9e

nice find! you have been infected with the oldies virus there is no turning back 🙂

5.5-Hp-Dec-2013-006

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

• This reply was modified 4 years, 1 month ago by Mumbles.
                      Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 13 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.