noise

Home Forum Ask A Member noise

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 16 total)

• tom-c

Replies: 94
    Topics: 34

What’s this noise?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2rYM_Uzcvc&feature

Buccaneer

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)
    Replies: 7524
    Topics: 1074

Almost sounds like a "lean" hic-up or spark arching.
    Do you hear it at higher speeds?

Prepare to be boarded!

tom-c

only hear it at low speeds. sounds like a horn to me.

fleetwin

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 4744
    Topics: 46

Don’t know if I’m hearing what you are hearing, but I hear a little ticking noise that I’m guessing is spark arcing. Could be a bad mag plate ground strap/connection, bad plug wire, leaky coil secondary.
    Try running the engine at night while looking under that mag plate, the arcing might be easier to see/pinpoint this way

billw

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 2071
    Topics: 66

My guess is that either something is rubbing or maybe the reed valves are leaking back a little. I think I hear what you mean by sounding like a horn. It’s kind of squeaky. Given the long history of twos being worn out and/or having bad bearings, I might go with that Idea, too. In the meantime, can you run it without the recoil housing? Maybe start it with a drill motor? That would eliminate that as a problem. While off, pull the flywheel and look for rub marks? Pull the lower unit, put it back in the tank and start briefly to eliminate the lower unit. (Sometimes sound from lower units telegraphs up like you wouldn’t believe.) Then make sure the reed valves are seating well…..maybe even do that first…

Long live American manufacturing!

mercuryman

Replies: 467
    Topics: 167

Sounds like a knock to me, if you had spark arcing on one cyl. how will it run.

fisherman6

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 1702

I think the squeaky horn sound is the reeds. I have one of these and it makes the same sound at low idle. Thats what I figured it was. Maybe I’m wrong, but if I am I’d like to know what is making that sound also.
    -Ben

OldJohnnyRude on YouTube

tom-c

I thought right away it was coming from the reeds but I didn’t want to say it and influence your comments. I’ve already been through the mag plate etc. I have a parts motor so if this noise persists, I will switch out the reed plate. Thank you all for your input!

fisherman6

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 1702

I’ll be interested to see if changing out the reed plate eliminates the sound or just changes it a little.
    -Ben

OldJohnnyRude on YouTube

frankr

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)
    Replies: 6715
    Topics: 51

Sure sounds like a reed. But I have a hard time believing it.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.