noise

Home Forum Ask A Member noise

Viewing 6 posts - 11 through 16 (of 16 total)

• jerry-ahrens

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)
    Replies: 986
    Topics: 40

My guess is it’s coming from the reeds too. I’ll be interested to see what you find as well.

fleetwin

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 4737
    Topics: 46

OK, well I don’t think I am hearing the noise you are referring to…
    In any event, Bill’s advice about the darn recoil is spot on… Those things get wobbly, then make it sound like the engine is knocking/bad bearing..

Went back and re-listened, that noise probably is some sort of intake noise, is the baffle in place? I guess I wouldn’t have worried about it if it were mine and the engine is idling OK, which it seems to be….
    But, I do hear the little ticking noise also, which I still think is some sort of spark arcing…

PugetSoundBoater

Replies: 900
    Topics: 105

My ’77 Johnson 2 hp sounded exactly the same at that rpm,that deep chirping.The noise would go away at higher rpm. With no other 2 hp to compare it to, i figured it was its own normal little noise characteristic. I could not get it to run right ,the compression was a bit low. Had it miced by a machinist,the cylinder is worn in the center.
    I did notice there is a scrape /wear mark on the flywheel top as i recall,like something is rubbing. I will try to dig the flywheel out and post a photo of its wear mark.

"Some people want to know how a watch works, others just want to know what time it is"
    Robbie Robertson

fleetwin

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 4737
    Topics: 46
    quote pugetsoundboater:

My ’77 Johnson 2 hp sounded exactly the same at that rpm,that deep chirping.The noise would go away at higher rpm. With no other 2 hp to compare it to, i figured it was its own normal little noise characteristic. I could not get it to run right ,the compression was a bit low. Had it miced by a machinist,the cylinder is worn in the center.
    I did notice there is a scrape /wear mark on the flywheel top as i recall,like something is rubbing. I will try to dig the flywheel out and post a photo of its wear mark.

The scraping marks are from the wobbly starter pulley rubbing on the flywheel, which makes terrible noises that sound like internal engine problems.

richardg

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)
    Replies: 53
    Topics: 7

Tom- I just had to pull apart a motor I had just finished for making a funky noise at certain RPM.

I found the stator plate below the center core of the coil was barely rubbing on the magnet in the flywheel.

I could see a bright spot on both surfaces.

This was not the coil core mind you but the aluminum stator plate.

PugetSoundBoater

Replies: 900
    Topics: 105

Here are some photos of the flywheel scrapping marks ,just like it was put in a lathe.
    I think fleetwin may have the answer for this wear ,a wobbly pulley. The distance from the center of the flywheel to the wear mark is the same distance on the pully from the center to the edge of the pulley. The wear marks are right outside the bits red tape

"Some people want to know how a watch works, others just want to know what time it is"
    Robbie Robertson

Viewing 6 posts - 11 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.