Home Forum Ask A Member Not Boat related – Allis Chambers Carb Questions

Viewing 8 posts - 11 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Mumbles
    Participant

What a coincidence as I just finished getting my old ’58 LeRoi air compressor running after sitting for a few years and it is based on an Allis-Chalmers design. It also has a Zenith updraft carb but I didn’t take note of how much meat was in it for a thread repair. Both the hi-speed and lo-speed jets on it are adjustable and one faces the front and is under the bowl while the other is on top and comes out on a 45 degree angle.

If you can wait for a day or two, I can remove it again for inspection but first I have to reinstall the transfer case in my Exploder but in the meantime I’ll post a photo of the carb for comparison. That won’t be for another hour or two.

LeRoi-Portable

• This reply was modified 3 years, 7 months ago by Mumbles.
      • This reply was modified 3 years, 7 months ago by Mumbles.
      billy-t
      Participant

Thanks all for the input. I will think about it for a while yet. Appreciate the input, the pictures are close to size just not location on the carb I have.

Thanks again.

Mumbles
        Participant

Does your carb look anything like this one?

DSC00325

DSC00324

DSC00323

need2fish
          Participant

I’ve resurrected cracked cast iron items by using a cutoff wheel to enlarge the crack to about 1/16″, acid dip to clean it, then pour molten lead in to it. Of course that method won’t work on cracked blocks or any other structural parts, but it would work on a carb.

jrm80
            Participant

IT WOULD BE HELPFUL TO HAVE A PHOTO OF THE CRACK, BUT THAT’S NOT POPSSIBLE FROM MY READING SO I’LL SHOOT IN THE DARK HERE. I HAVE SUCESSFULLY BRAZED CAST IRON, AND UNLESS THERE SOMETHING BEHIND THE CRACK TO CONTRAINDICATE SUCH AN APPROACH, THAT WOULD BE MY PREFERRED METHOD. YOU MAY END UP WITH BRAZING MATERIAL IN THE THREADS OF THE HOLE, BUT THAT COULD BE REMOVED WITH A TAP. IF IT WERE DONE CAREFULLY, YOU WOULD END UP WITH A LEAKPROOF PREMANENT REPAIR.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 7 months ago by jrm80.
              billy-t
              Participant

Hi All

The carb is very similar to the one that Mumbles posted, except were it looks like an adjustable external main mine is fixed and hiddent behind a plain bolt. On Mumbles you can see a brass colored tee on towards the front side of the carb. Mine is just a fixed bolt in this location which allows access to a fixed jet similar to what you would see in an outboard with a high fixed jet.

i think I am going to take it to a local machine shop and see what they can do. The crack is on the outside and doesnt seem to go into the threads so see what they can offer on a repair approach.

Thanks for all the input much appreciated.

The Boat House
                Participant

billy-t
                  Participant

Thanks for the link, i came to this site because the fellows here are helpful and know lots of stuff and i really appreciated their sharing.

Thanks

Viewing 8 posts - 11 through 18 (of 18 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.