Home Forum Ask A Member OMC Pinion Shaft Shock Absorber

Viewing 9 posts - 11 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    wrenchero
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

where do you get brass shear pins?

mn

Ken Smith
      Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

Ben. Excellent advice! Thanks for spelling it out. I am going to try your method and see if I can salvage this thing. If anything at all it will give me some welding practice. This has been an enlightening thread. Thanks Again. Ken

www.kenadianoutboards.com

crosbyman
        Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

shear pins in brass… you can buy brass rods of the correct diameter and cut short lengths or in a bind I have taken a shot brass bolt and cut it’s head off .

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

kirkp
          Participant

I have purchased brass rod of the next size up and chucked it up in my drill. Some emery cloth soon takes it down to the correct size.
            Kirk

Steve D
            Participant

where do you get brass shear pins?

If you want to cut your own I think you’ll need 3/16 brass rod found at Home Depot, Loews, eBay, etc. Chart, compliments of Garry I believe…
              https://www.ebay.com/itm/K-S-3-16-in-Dia-x-12-in-L-Brass-Rod-1-pk/282469227054?hash=item41c47a5a2e:g:ko8AAOSwVAtcOIRV:rk:1:pf:1&frcectupt=true

Shear-Pin-Chart

• This reply was modified 5 years, 3 months ago by Steve D.
              fisherman6
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I also buy brass rod in the various sizes by the 3 foot length and cut the shear pins to length. Many places sell brass shear pins for boat props though. McMaster-Carr, Grainger, EBay, all sell stock so you can cut your own.
                -Ben

OldJohnnyRude on YouTube

fisherman6
                Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Ben. Excellent advice! Thanks for spelling it out. I am going to try your method and see if I can salvage this thing. If anything at all it will give me some welding practice. This has been an enlightening thread. Thanks Again. Ken

You’re very welcome. I hope it works well for you. I’m sure you will be able to salvage it.
                  -Ben

OldJohnnyRude on YouTube

fleetwin
                  Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Well, it is OK to reuse the bushing/seal housing after it has been galled up on the bottom, but you want to be sure it has not been distorted/cracked from the upward pressue of the driveshaft pushing up on it. I don’t recommend resusing it though, even if it is not cracked/distorted, this damaged piece is bound to cause confusion during future repairs in the future.

fisherman6
                    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Well, it is OK to reuse the bushing/seal housing after it has been galled up on the bottom, but you want to be sure it has not been distorted/cracked from the upward pressue of the driveshaft pushing up on it. I don’t recommend resusing it though, even if it is not cracked/distorted, this damaged piece is bound to cause confusion during future repairs in the future.

I do not disagree with fleetwin here. The piece should be scrutinized to be sure it isn’t more than superficially damaged. I find most of them reusable. If they were not difficult and expensive to find in good condition, especially for someone without a parts inventory to go to, I would not reuse a damaged one. They are getting harder to find at a reasonable price in good shape though. For that reason, if it is serviceable, I will reuse them.
                      -Ben

OldJohnnyRude on YouTube

Viewing 9 posts - 11 through 19 (of 19 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.