Home Forum Ask A Member OMC points

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    jimk
    Participant

I ordered a tune up kit for my 1956 Evinrude 10 hp. Kit came and the points look good but they will not adjust as they wont hit the rub bar. Seems I saw that somewhere before but its t late now. Is there a good set of points out there? I ended up using points from a parts motor. The ones in it were beyond dressing. I would like to know how to make that new set work if there is a way or where to get good points for the next motor I need them for?

Steve Martin
      Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

You should be able to file the slot to enable them to be adjusted.

fleetwin
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I have heard of this issue several times now, so you are not alone. I haven’t experienced it only because all my OEM tune up kits are more than a few years old… I don’t know what the answer is, which issue are you having? You can’t get the points to open enough with the offset adjusting screw? Or, won’t they close all the way?

jimk
          Participant

Problem is they dont make contact with the crankshaft. That sounds like a good idea by filing the slot. The little adjustment screw wont work but I can set them without it! Next tme I need points I will try and use them by opening the adjustment slot or just remove that adjusting screw.

Steve Martin
            Participant

I have had several sets with the same problem and filing the slot works fine.

wrenchero
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

not sure if this is related to your problem but i have installed several sets of the new points recently and every time i did, the spring was too long(i couldnt get the clip on the end of the spring to hold it to the bracket). i had to cut about 1/16″ off the end of the spring and they all worked fine.maybe its holding points open? just dont go cutting anything until you check

mn

jimk
                Participant

I had tried the oher set that came in the kit and checked it before the clip was on and same thing. Could barely get the rub bar to touch let alone open the points.

seakaye12
                  Participant

Just to think of all the slightly used sets of points that i’ve tossed….just because it was what we did….when parts were available and the quality was fine. Wish I could get them back!

fleetwin
                    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I’m confused as always. I would think that filing out the slot in the points base would make this problem worse….Less area for the offset screw to contact. But, I guess the offset screw can make contact with either side of the slot….Have you tried using the other side of the slot for contact. You may have to back the offset screw out a half turn or so if it bottoms out while trying to use the other side of the slot.
                      Sorry, wish I could draw a picture to better explain what I am describing here…

1 user thanked author for this post.
                      Steve Martin
                      Participant

I’m confused as always. I would think that filing out the slot in the points base would make this problem worse….Less area for the offset screw to contact. But, I guess the offset screw can make contact with either side of the slot….Have you tried using the other side of the slot for contact. You may have to back the offset screw out a half turn or so if it bottoms out while trying to use the other side of the slot.
                        Sorry, wish I could draw a picture to better explain what I am describing here…

The slot in the new points is too close to the cam. By filing the slot on the away side you’re able to open the points to adjust, but as you have surmised, you cannot use the adjuster screw to reduce the gap, but rather use a screwdriver blade if you overshoot the gap. Not the ideal situation, but you can make it work.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 24 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.