Home Forum Ask A Member OMC points

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Mumbles
    Participant

Some guys with this issue just remove the adjusting screw and set the points the old way with a screwdriver, prying them back and forth. When I find a set with too long a spring, no problem as the continuity clip will install from the top. Just double check that the points will open freely though.

Boonie
      Participant

Canada Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

I recently had a set of points where I couldn’t get them on the post. Bushing to small. BRP product. Went back to the dealer. 2nd set same thing. Ended up using a Sierra product. Go figure?

BROOK E. NEWCOMB
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

It’s very disappointing that this poor fit and quality is wide spread with many things these days.

( I guess we are lucky to even get a set of new points for a 65 yr old motor,
          even if they need little modifications. )

I totally agree with seakaye12, wish I could get them all back as well.

Clean them up, reset them and enjoy the motor.

Now, if I can only find a new set of points for my 1917 Evinrude Rowboat Motor.

Respectfully,
          Brook

JOHN HOLBIK
          Participant

Not trying to hijack the thread .Does any one know the point gap for a 1924 Evinrude Sportwin N and the micro farad of the condensor.
            It is a good thing I am on the thrifty side as I have many sets of old used OMC points but many have been filed several times.
            John

nj-boatbuilder57
            Participant

Timely thread.

I’ve been having some issues this summer with my ’57 Javelin that seemed ignition related, so I figured I’d start with the mag plate. Everything was replaced a few years back, but something was amiss, so I figured I’d just “shotgun” it and replace everything.

My brand-new OMC / BRP points arrived, and they simply do not work. The riser that rides on the cam is undersized, so there’s just no way to make these work. If I adjust them so they ride on the cam, I cannot time them to a.) open at the right time (with a timing tool) or b.) open to a .020 gap. Can’t be done. Very disappointing to say the least. And, as others have noted, they were VERY tight on the post.

I reinstalled the old points (I think they were Sierra, but I can’t recall for sure), and they, too, had dimensional issues. Not as bad as these new points, but still a bit funky to get them to cam-ride properly while opening & closing at the right time.

I have a junk drawer of, well, old junk…and in it I found about 10 sets of old points. Some in better shape than others, but I could easily find a pair that cleaned up just fine, have plenty of contact material left, have tall cam riders, and function (timing & gap) perfectly. Glad I saved them…

So I’m out about $30 from marineengine (it’s not their fault I suppose, as they’re just the distributor), but I’ve learned a lot about points while wrestling with these. Lessons learned.

Shear Pin
              Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

It would seem to me that those who sell these
                have been made aware of this problem by now.
                Yet they continue to sell them rather than return
                them to their supplier because they are
                defective. And it would seem, from what I have
                read here, they are being modified to work or
                just accepted as a $ loss rather than being taken
                back to where they were purchased. So there is
                really no motivation to solve the problem.

Tinman
                Participant

i have had all bad experiences with the omc points. I kept returning them and getting refunds. Now i just reuse old points or get the seirra points.Those seem to work ok.You would think after all the problems they would fix the problem with the points.

Mumbles
                  Participant

Since BRP doesn’t produce Johnson or Evinrude outboards any more, they probably have little interest in quality control as they will eventually be dropping the parts supply to.

Matthew Pieklik
                    Participant

I know Marine Engine knew there was an issue with the points awhile ago. Thats why there was a point in time that the tune up kits were not available. I believe the parts were made in Turkey. Who is the supplier now? Did BRP get a cheaper deal in China? How hard is it to manufacture a set of points when you have the tools to do so… So much for quality control. That’s why your 3 dollar fuel pumps last an hour. Every time I ‘m looking for parts, I have to weed through all the “Knock Offs” till I get to real parts. Even CDI parts have been copied by our “friends” the Chinese Nation. They laugh all the way to the bank at us “Dumb Americans”. What is one to do. Just my thoughts.

dave-bernard
                      Participant

What is one to do????? Get Trump back in office. JMHO

1 user thanked author for this post.
                      Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 24 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.