Home Forum Ask A Member OMC propeller question?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    labrador-guy
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I want to ask the vast knowledge out there in cyber land which of these propellers will perform better? Early fifty’s OMC motors 10hp and up all had a propeller that was suppose to be weedless. I found a propeller on the shelf at my prop doctor welding shop. With the same diameter and pitch that I usually run on the 10hp OMC that I have around here. It has much wider paddles. How is this wide paddle guy gonna perform? The weedless propeller pushes my 14′ MirroCraft about 19 MPH. Any Guesses?

dale

Both have same pitch and diamiter er

IMG_0003-1

IMG_0004-1

retiredoz
      Participant

US Member

Michigan lists that prop for 15-25 hp for 16-18ft boats heavy load. I think it would have your 10-hp gasping for breath.

frankr
        Participant

US Member

Are both of those props for 10hp, 1957 and older? If so, they also fit 15,18,20,25hp which explains why it is for heavy boats. But 9 x8 is appropriate for a 10hp on a 14″ Anyhoo, it is kind of hard to predict which will win without a sea trial. My bet is on the wide blade.

If you run in weeds, you already know that weedless doesn’t shed weeds worth a hoot.

labrador-guy
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Yes Frank, it fits all those motors you mentioned. I guess that a sea trial is the only way to find out. I am putting an 18 together right now. I have a 9×10 that I was saving to put on that motor. So called weedless prop. This wide paddle might work on the 18. I wish I could find a book about propellers. Something simple and informative. Pine tree guys managed to get 30mph from a 15 OMC motor. Racers secret on how they did that! thanks

dale

• This reply was modified 4 years, 1 month ago by labrador-guy.
            foot_doctor
            Participant

US Member

I own and have run both of those props on my Evinrude 15012, and once they are below the surface of the water, and I can’t see them, I can not tell the difference. I carry one on board for a spare. They both run 28 mph on my Alumacraft. Have fun boating! R.T.

rmhxruss
              Participant

The bottom one looks like it would have a bad hub.

labrador-guy
                Participant

US Member - 2 Years

RT your 15 does a little better than mine. I get about 22/23mph. Good to know how yours does. I don’t remember what prop is on my 15. But am gonna check!

thanks dale

fleetwin
                  Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Just want to be sure I understand….These props are will not fit the small gearcase 10hps, 1958 and newer, correct? And both of these props have an 8″ pitch?

labrador-guy
                    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Yes fleetwin that is correct. The motors with the sheer pin near the gear case. I have not worked on a 10 horse with the small gear case, AKA 58 and newer. Don’t own one of those. 58 and up Exterior is the same as a 5 1/2 or 7 1/2 omc but internally I have no idea!

fleetwin
                      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

The small gearcases on the newer 10hps also have the shear pin near the gearcase…I think those props you mentioned won’t fit the newer 10hps because the diameter of the props is too big and will hit the ventilation plate on the smaller gearcase….

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 14 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.