Home Forum Ask A Member OMC water pump question

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Mumbles
    Participant

It looks like the rain is going to letup soon so as soon as it does, I’ll go out and compare an OEM pump kit to a Chinglish one.

Matthew Pieklik
      Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

Call Websters , we have a new word to put in the book. Chinglish

Mumbles
        Participant

Well, I compared the OEM 763758 and the $21.29 Amazon water pump kits and found a couple things different between the two. The parts in the Chinglish kit are all individually wrapped and sealed. Not so for the BRP kit. The impeller drive pin in the Chinglish kit is also knurled, which keeps it tight in the driveshaft. Two stars. The two kits seem identical in every way except the OEM kit has aluminum inserts in the housings screw holes and the Chinglish housings have brass inserts, which I prefer. Aluminum and salt don’t mix very well so that’s one more star for the offshore pump. The OEM liner has small manufacturing indentations in it on either side of the bleed hole while the Chinglish one is perfectly smooth and the OEM wear plate was scratched a bit straight out of the box. Two more stars for the offshore pump. The impellers were cold so it was hard to see if one was more pliable than the other but they both felt the same. The impellers, liners, and gaskets all measured the same so I don’t really think one kit is much better than the other except for the price but I am tending to favor the Amazon kit.

DSC00034

DSC00036

DSC00038

DSC00039

DSC00040

DSC00041

DSC00035

• This reply was modified 3 years, 1 month ago by Mumbles.
          crosbyman
          Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

FR… I looked closely at my pump and there is a small hole in the stainless cup which lines up with a surface cavity, sending any pressurized water o the shaft area just above the SS cup

so that said it looks like water will reach the rotating shaft cavity while 99 % of the pumped water will go up the water tube 🙂

Problem solved… good eyes 🙂

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

crosbyman
            Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

mumbles beat me by 3 minutes while I was typing 🙂

Mumbles
              Participant

While shopping on Amazon today, I figured I better load up on a few carb kits and fuel pumps. Yeah, they are Chinglish but the price is right!

Fuel-Pumps

Carb-Kits

crosbyman
                Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

the 4 hole carb kits may not fit some motors due ” no low speed” side channel provision for the smaller carbs on 4-4.5-5-6-7.5 oldies and some have a the wrong thread on the inlet jet

at least you have floats 🙂

I ordered 5 pumps…what the heck dirt cheap 🙂

keep your shopping eyes open for cheap water pumps 🙂

crosbyman
                  Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

9.5hp carb kits ain’t bad either ordered 3 🙂

https://www.amazon.ca/JYEMDV-Carburetor-Evinrude-1964-1973-Replacement/dp/B08LPTH728/ref=sr_1_40?dchild=1&keywords=omc+9.5+hp+carb+kit&qid=1614303962&s=automotive&sr=1-40

I am going to find more motors now 🙂

Mumbles
                    Participant

The covers alone on the pumps are worth to me what I paid for the whole pumps as they like to warp and crack with old age.

On the foreign carb kits, I find the float valves have the correct thread but they have to be chased with a dye to fit properly. They produce metric threads just fine but these SAE threads must seem strange to them and they haven’t quite got it right yet.

Try searching Amazon using the water pump kit P/N and several pages should show up. You just have to watch the shipping methods used and how much the sellers charge for shipping. Some want more than what the kits cost. Prime with FREE shipping is what you want. ☺

labrador-guy
                      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Here is an update on this water pump problem. I decided to pull the power head on the 18 rude and check the lower crankshaft seal. This motor has not had the power head off since I have owned it. It is the first outboard that bought when I acquired this outboard disease! Upon inspection I found a previous owner took a rotto-rooter to the water outlet in the exhaust housing. I noticed when it did pump there was a large amount of water coming out the exhaust relief port. After seeing the grinding marks I am sure there was not much water being sprayed around in the housing. I think my problem is solved!

Don’t know what those water pump kits that you guys are buying from the jungle fit but, I will keep them in mind.
                        Thanks everyone for comments and suggestions.

dale

Where there’s a will, I want to be in it!

PO did a number on this tube!

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 24 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.