OMC water pump question

Home Forum Ask A Member OMC water pump question

Currently, there are 0 users and 1 guest visiting this topic.
Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)

• Mumbles

Canada Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 5507
    Topics: 292

While shopping on Amazon today, I figured I better load up on a few carb kits and fuel pumps. Yeah, they are Chinglish but the price is right!

Fuel-Pumps

Carb-Kits

• This reply was modified 1 year, 4 months ago by Mumbles.
    • This reply was modified 1 year, 4 months ago by Mumbles.

crosbyman

Canada Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 2777
    Topics: 273

the 4 hole carb kits may not fit some motors due ” no low speed” side channel provision for the smaller carbs on 4-4.5-5-6-7.5 oldies and some have a the wrong thread on the inlet jet

at least you have floats 🙂

I ordered 5 pumps…what the heck dirt cheap 🙂

keep your shopping eyes open for cheap water pumps 🙂

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

crosbyman

Canada Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 2777
    Topics: 273

9.5hp carb kits ain’t bad either ordered 3 🙂

I am going to find more motors now 🙂

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

Mumbles

Canada Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 5507
    Topics: 292

The covers alone on the pumps are worth to me what I paid for the whole pumps as they like to warp and crack with old age.

On the foreign carb kits, I find the float valves have the correct thread but they have to be chased with a dye to fit properly. They produce metric threads just fine but these SAE threads must seem strange to them and they haven’t quite got it right yet.

Try searching Amazon using the water pump kit P/N and several pages should show up. You just have to watch the shipping methods used and how much the sellers charge for shipping. Some want more than what the kits cost. Prime with FREE shipping is what you want. ☺

labrador-guy

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 688
    Topics: 50

Here is an update on this water pump problem. I decided to pull the power head on the 18 rude and check the lower crankshaft seal. This motor has not had the power head off since I have owned it. It is the first outboard that bought when I acquired this outboard disease! Upon inspection I found a previous owner took a rotto-rooter to the water outlet in the exhaust housing. I noticed when it did pump there was a large amount of water coming out the exhaust relief port. After seeing the grinding marks I am sure there was not much water being sprayed around in the housing. I think my problem is solved!

Don’t know what those water pump kits that you guys are buying from the jungle fit but, I will keep them in mind.
    Thanks everyone for comments and suggestions.

dale

Where there’s a will, I want to be in it!

PO did a number on this tube!

Buccaneer

US Member - 1 Year
    Replies: 5818
    Topics: 896

Dale, I just left you 16 cats and my wife in my will.
    I’ll throw in a Ted Williams outboard for a bonus, lol

Prepare to be boarded!

labrador-guy

US Member - 2 Years

Dale, I just left you 16 cats and my wife in my will.
    I’ll throw in a Ted Williams outboard for a bonus, lol

16 cats??? We have to many now! Thanks allot!! ROTFL : ) 🙂 🙂

dale

fleetwin

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 4246
    Topics: 42

I don’t understand what the previous owner thought drilling that hole was going to accomlish….Looks like the water is just filling the blind cavity….

labrador-guy

US Member - 2 Years

I don’t understand what the previous owner thought drilling that hole was going to accomlish….Looks like the water is just filling the blind cavity….

Yes fleetwin that is exactly what was happening. I am thinking that at low RPM the water was not getting to the water pump to seal off the top of the impeller housing. I drove a washer with a 3/8″ hole in it into the water down tube and that should splash liquid around inside the exhaust housing. I can’t remember what it looked inside that cavity. Time will tell!

dale

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.