Home Forum Ask A Member Pics of Champion 2G

Viewing 10 posts - 21 through 30 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    HARRY D. NICHOLSON
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Baron: your 2G motor is correct with the steel tank. They made 2 kinds of 2G Vikings, one with the big cast tank and one with a rectangular steel tin tank with a tin front shroud. These 2 motors can be told apart by the front tank mounts. The steel tank version two front screw mounting holes are on top of the cylinders while the cast tank mounts are on the front of the cylinders. Only the pertinent screw holes in the cylinders are made that fit the correct tank used. So, if you see a 2G with no tank, you can tell which tank it needs by where the 2 front screw holes are located. The steel tank version does not show up in literature except it is mentioned in a factory service bulletin. Both motors use the same decals. The tin tank version “Viking” decal is mounted on the top of the tank at a 45 degree angle in the starboard rear corner, readable from the drivers seat.Champ-2G-142resized40
      Champ-2G-817resized40

Buccaneer
      Participant

US Member

Thats the part. Now if I can figure out how to send a PM

PM received, and replied!

Prepare to be boarded!

Buccaneer
        Participant

US Member

Harry, I’m guessing the “steel tank” version 2G is a little on the rare side.
          It probably goes faster too…… that cast aluminum tank on mine weighs
          a ton, lol.

Prepare to be boarded!

HARRY D. NICHOLSON
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

The tin tank version does show up occasionally, I know of 14 in members hands. The cast tank does not hold as much fuel as it looks. It is quite hollow underneath.The tin tank mag has a mag stop not found on the cast version. Easily made if missing.

DAN C. SODERSTROM
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

If needed I have a template for fabricating the front shroud.

Seems to me there were only around 250 or so tin tank motors made.

1 user thanked author for this post.
              baron0418
              Participant

US Member

Hi Dan, yes that would be great. I could make that

baron0418
                Participant

US Member

Yup, Mine is missing

baron0418
                  Participant

US Member

Thank you Harry, Your photo Certainly is my motor. with out that front shroud. I will post a photo of mine as soon as I Can. My motor took a fall some time back and it cracked the front  carb plate and I guess broke the high speed knob as one one on my motor is round. I might have those 2 pieces I will have to look. I will need at least 1 head gasket. I will see if I can steal one from the single I have. Thank you for all the information everyone.  Brian Wilcox

baron0418
                    Participant

US Member

After looking at Toms motor and Mine. It looks like they just drilled and tapped places to mount the front tank studs. ( And of course did not drill and tap the front holes for the cast tank.) This makes economic sense as that means they did not have to do any work on the cylinder Patterns. They may have done some minor changes to the water passage core but without both versions to look at when I get mine apart I wont be able to tell.) ( Possibly an educated guess.) (Or not.)It does seem silly to only make 250 or so of this version but who knows the thought  process they went through making that decision.   Brian

HARRY D. NICHOLSON
                      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

It may have had something to do with aluminum accessibility, WWII.

Viewing 10 posts - 21 through 30 (of 35 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.