RDE-17 25 hp 1955 Johnson-Drain hole (water) NOT drilled all the way through to

Home Forum Ask A Member RDE-17 25 hp 1955 Johnson-Drain hole (water) NOT drilled all the way through to

Currently, there are 0 users and 1 guest visiting this topic.
Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • outboardnut
    outboardnut

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 718
    Topics: 427

Its not clogged
    The hole never did go through
    When i pry at the walls of the weep hole
    There is shiny aluminum

bobw
    bobw

US Member - 1 Year
    Replies: 1175
    Topics: 42

If you are seeing aluminum by poking and prying directly into the drain hole itself, that’s the inner wall of the cavity. The blockage is above the drain hole.

Gearcase-Drain

Bob

1954 Johnson CD-11
    1956 Johnson RD-18
    1958 Johnson QD-19
    1959 Johnson QD-20
    1957 Evinrude Fastwin 18

"Every 20 minute job is only a broken bolt away from a 3-day project."

Attachments:
    Buccaneer
    Buccaneer

US Member - 1 Year
    Replies: 4169
    Topics: 922

I believe the bottom weep hole is offset from the vertical drain hole a little ways,
    and that’s why you are seeing shiny metal when probing ……. I believe on mine,
    the vertical hole is a little off to the left of the weep hole.

Prepare to be boarded!

billy-j

Replies: 98
    Topics: 11

Most of them are plugged. You could lay the motor down on it’s backside to drain the cavity before standing it up for winter storage.

Be carefull what you do if it is not draining properly. I ruined a good 30 hp. johnson by carrying it with the power head aiming down going down a flite of steps. The hole was plugged and the water trapped in lower unit ran in a open port of the cylinder and over the time it was stored seized the motor.

lloyd

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 237
    Topics: 1

Video sounds like you are tapping on a rock (or possibly but less likely a piece of steel) that is imbedded in the vertical passage somewhere above the horizontal exit. This is a fairly common problem in cleaning out those old passageways. I cleaned out a number of them years ago. I fabricated a long drill bit from a steel rod, flattened the tip and sharpened the edges. Imbedded rocks are the toughest to get out but lots of tapping, drilling and patience always worked in the end. I wouldn’t drill the drain/weep hole higher up. Very risky and it will advertise the problem you are having.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    dave-bernard

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 1247
    Topics: 17

just measure. use the drill bit push it down grab it even with the top of the housing. remove it and put it along side the outside and see where it comes to the weep hole.

crosbyman

Canada Member - 1 Year
    Replies: 1721
    Topics: 204

my little 4hp Merc had 2 inches of solidfied sand and crud before I broke trhough to the weep hole !! keep at it

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.