Home Forum Ask A Member RDE-17 25 hp 1955 Johnson-Drain hole (water) NOT drilled all the way through to

Viewing 5 posts - 21 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    dave-bernard
    Participant

US Member

just measure. use the drill bit push it down grab it even with the top of the housing. remove it and put it along side the outside and see where it comes to the weep hole.

crosbyman
      Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

my little 4hp Merc had 2 inches of solidfied sand and crud before I broke trhough to the weep hole !! keep at it

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

outboardnut
        Participant

US Member

Here is an up date
          .I had another gear case
          I measured the depth of that weep hole
          It was was deeper than the problem gear case.
          For sure the hole on the problem gear case was not drilled at the correct depth.
          So I drilled the hole further and hit black debris from the intersecting hole.
          I purchased a 12 inch carbide bit and cleared the intersecting hole
          While drilling I put water in that hole while drilling so I would know when I hit the weep hole
          Now I have usable gear case

labrador-guy
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

If it was mine I would use it! I have several motors around here that are blocked. I always tilt the motor all the way up when I am tying down at the ramp. I know that does not get all the water out. If it freezes in that cavity the ice should be able to go up as it expands. Most of the time water in that spot will dry up in a couple days after setting in the shed. Just my humble opinion! That drain is a pain for sure.

dale

Monte NZ
            Participant

International Member - 2 Years

I have had the same problem with some of my motors including my 1957 35hp Evinrude and I fixed it by using a piece of number 8 fencing wire as used on the farm.
              I cut a piece just long enough to do the job and filed a chisel tip on it and put in my electric drill.
              I poured a small bit of water in and just kept prodding gentle at the blockage until t broke loose.

Monte NZ

Viewing 5 posts - 21 through 25 (of 25 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.