Home Forum Ask A Member Recoil starter sticking – 1958 Evinrude 3 hp

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    DougConrad
    Participant

Canada Member

When I tighten the screws holding the starter in place the rope won’t return. It seems the screws are pushing the recoil into the flywheel. When I loosen them it works. Thinking about trying some spacers in between the the gas tank bottom to raise it up.

As well the throttle handle seems hard to move.  This is my first time working on this type of motor. I have removed the flywheel 3 times with a puller trying to get the timing right. New ignition parts and carb kit. Had it going briefly in a barrel.

Thanks,

Doug

Buccaneer
      Participant

US Member

While I don’t see where the parts diagram shows spacers under your tank,
        some motors come that way, and I’ve had to “tweak” several like you suggest.

Did you remove the magneto plate itself, clean, inspect, and lube where it
        swivels on the powerhead?
        Are you aware about the tension screw on the magplate to adjust how easy
        it turns?

Is the motor still not starting / running as well as you like?

Prepare to be boarded!

DougConrad
        Participant

Canada Member

I did not remove the mag plate.

I am not aware of the tension screw. The manual I have doesn’t seem to show it.

I’m going to adjust the starter and give it another go.

Thanks.

crosbyman
          Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

make certain all parts are there

is this a new to you motor……… or just a new problem that came up after  a cord change ??

Johnson Starter Group Parts for 1958 3hp JW-14 Outboard Motor (marineengine.com)

1958 Evinrude 3026 3 hp Outboard Motor Parts (marineengine.com)

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

DougConrad
            Participant

Canada Member

This is a motor given to me by my father 20 years ago. Hasn’t be going since then.

I replaced the cord. The new one is slightly thicker. I don’t think it had this problem before. Thanks for the links.

crosbyman
              Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

203817  jw is 5/32  cord    68 5/16 inches

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

jeff-register
                Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Not smy rope will work as Crosby Man has stated. While your there remove the spring (Watch out comes out all at once). I Had several dirty with fine silt & dried grease on the rewind spring & spool. It’s a dirty dangerious job but a huge difference it makes. ASk how long has it been from the last cleaning, NEVER!!

labrador-guy
                  Participant

US Member - 2 Years

When I tighten the screws holding the starter in place the rope won’t return. It seems the screws are pushing the recoil into the flywheel. When I loosen them it works. Thinking about trying some spacers in between the the gas tank bottom to raise it up.

As well the throttle handle seems hard to move.  This is my first time working on this type of motor. I have removed the flywheel 3 times with a puller trying to get the timing right. New ignition parts and carb kit. Had it going briefly in a barrel.

Thanks,

Doug

Doug those motor covers can be a pain!  First thing to check is the position of the side panel that the gas tank petcock is on.  You might need to raise the center band that the gas tank sets on.   I had the same problem on mine I shimmed the tank up and the side covers would not fit.  I tore everything off and started over.

dale

Steve A W
                    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

This is a motor given to me by my father 20 years ago. Hasn’t be going since then.

I replaced the cord. The new one is slightly thicker. I don’t think it had this problem before. Thanks for the links.

Use the proper diameter rope and see what happens.

Member of the MOB chapter.
                      I live in Northwest Indiana

fleetwin
                      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Oftentimes it is the aluminum ring that supports the gas tank that is too blame.  These poor engines got knocked around, dropped quite a bit.  The ring is screwed to the cylinder head in the rear of the engine, but the front of the ring/gas tank support is positioned by that horizontal bracket that is screwed to the top of the powerhead.  Oftentimes this horizontal support gets bent down as well.   Once the tank droops down a bit, the recoil pulley drags on the flywheel.

All that being said, probably best to make sure the recoil is properly assembled as well….

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 12 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.