removing pin holding 57 evinrude cowl together

Home Forum Ask A Member removing pin holding 57 evinrude cowl together

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

• GUY SCHMIDT

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)
    Replies: 25
    Topics: 16

Hello outboarders, I have a 57 evinrude 35hp cowl that has one bad side. I’m perplexed how to separate them without breaking something. I have a picture with a pencil pointing to the solid end of the hinge…..the other end is open……maybe you can take me from here with instructions. Thanks….Guy

jimk

Replies: 89
    Topics: 33

I was able to drive mine out with a punch.

bobw

Replies: 2448
    Topics: 56

I marked up your picture.   On my 57 cowl, I grabbed onto the exposed part of the pin with a pair of needle nosed vice grips, then tapped the vice grips with a hammer to drive the pin out the open end of the hinge.   Also include a pic of mine with the pin driven  out.

Evinrude-cowl-scaled-copy
    01-Cowl-Hinge-Pin-Removed-06.25

Bob

1937 Champion D2C Deluxe Lite Twin
    1954 Johnson CD-11
    1957 Evinrude Fastwin 18
    1958 Johnson QD-19
    1958 Johnson FD-12
    1959 Johnson QD-20

“Every 20 minute job is only a broken bolt away from a 3-day project.”
    "Every time you remove a broken or seized bolt an angel gets his wings."

GUY SCHMIDT

OK, I think I now will have the confidence to give it a shot without the fear of damaging it….thank you

bobw

Replies: 2448
    Topics: 56

Forgot to mention there is a small retainer clip on the hinge pin you will need to remove before driving the pin out – you can see the clip on the pin in the picture of my cowl.  The front edge of the pin is knurled to hold it in place and it wouldn’t hurt to apply a little heat to front end of the hinge to expand the metal a bit and allow the pin to come out a little easier.

Bob

1937 Champion D2C Deluxe Lite Twin
    1954 Johnson CD-11
    1957 Evinrude Fastwin 18
    1958 Johnson QD-19
    1958 Johnson FD-12
    1959 Johnson QD-20

“Every 20 minute job is only a broken bolt away from a 3-day project.”
    "Every time you remove a broken or seized bolt an angel gets his wings."

boscovius

Replies: 91
    Topics: 9

I can confirm this procedure.  Just went through this a while back.  I had to get a pair of needle nose vise grips in order to get any purchase on the pin, but this is how you do it.

Here’s the thread from my cowl pin adventure.  Also information on the bales, hinge, pin and retaining clip part numbers.

https://www.aomci.org/forums/topic/1957-big-twin-35-engine-cowling-separation-latch-bale-pin-removal/

• This reply was modified 1 year, 10 months ago by boscovius.

GUY SCHMIDT

SUCCESS!…..yes, I bought a pair of the needle nose vise grips at ACE hardware, heated up the hidden end of the pin housing ( I had previously sprayed some penetrating oil in there )

heated it with map gas for about 15 seconds and it popped out with ease after attaching the plyers to the shaft and tapping on it….Thanks again.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.