Request a list of the “beautiful” WWII era motors

Home Forum Ask A Member Request a list of the “beautiful” WWII era motors

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 21 total)

• Honorcode

Replies: 9
    Topics: 3

Thank you squierka39. I am enjoying this new hobby as I try to figure out what to do with my unplanned early retirement. But there are sharks in the water that want to take advantage of my ignorance. For the last three motors that I wanted to buy, all of the seller were not being honest with me. For example:

1 – 1939 Johnson MS39 – There is one for sale on an auction / museum web site. It is a stunning green with chrome. I was tempted to buy it even though it is very expensive. In doing research, I learned that it is missing its spark plug aluminum cover. The advertisment states that the motor is complete, fully restored, and operational. When I contacted the dealer about the missing part, he said that it is being sold-as is, as pictured, and there is no warranty expressed. He made no apology for misrepresenting the motor as being complete.

2 – There is a 1938 Clarke troller listed on e-bay. It has the spring starter, and a custom stand with a battery box. The price is steep, but it is advertised as “new” and the has a long description which makes them seem like they are an authority in this motor. A recently met a antique motor mechanic, he looked at the pictures and warned me not to buy it. He said that the starter pully is “fake”, it is a low-budget rebuild that is not probably not compatable with the spring starter. he also said that the tiller appears to be a home-made bolt-on item.

My take away is that it is very hard to buy an antique motor over the internet.

Thanks again for the reply.

squierka39

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)
    Replies: 610
    Topics: 34

I suggest you join our club if you haven’t already and go to some of our meets. The club is full of friendly people more than willing to give you good advice. We also have swap meets and much better buys can be had thru members than Thur internet sites.

The Boat House

Replies: 4550
    Topics: 111

reivertom

Replies: 790
    Topics: 40

You guys are cheating! Those motors didn’t look that good in the 1930s!

The Boat House

squierka39

Current trends to polish and paint in a way they weren’t when new makes it hard for new collectors. If your buying for a future investment you may find years from now that nobody wants the non factory finishes and your investment has dropped.

Honorcode

Replies: 9
    Topics: 3

For collecting, I look at the auto industry for guideance. They want an OPERATIONAL Vehicle. The running performance should be simliar to the way that it ran in its period. Thus, a model T will run differently than a 1969 mustang. In terms of cosmetics – collectors expect the car to be restored with a “true to period” restoration, unless it is a nostalgic piece, where the artist clearly took latitude in the restoration – both are acceptable and both are collectable. The point is that there is no deciet in the restoration – people follow an Honor code of ethics with the restoration.

As of this week, I have now purchased 2 outboard motors that have been costmetically restored to bare metal – I can paint them, or let the shinny aluminum prevail. I love that I have that option. If I can get them running, I will make a video of it… save the video to disk, and then drain the gas and set them up for display inside my home. I would like to buy an ol johnson and restore it from scratch, I lack the confidsence at this point.

I have been investing in Lithium technologys, and recently made a sizable gain with ALB, these profits are funding my antique motor hobby. The world is switching from gasoline (just look at exxon stock) to lithium (ALB stock). As gasoline powered outboard motors are replaced with lithium iron phostphate powered motors, the motors from 100 years ago will be very precious to collectors. It may take another 20 years, but I am in no rush. My point is that parts and motors are plentiful today… and a motor that has been stripped to its metal provides the owner with flexibility.. but it is critical to have an operational motor.

The Boat House

Mumbles

Replies: 5764
    Topics: 298

Let’s not forget the often scoffed at HD and TN series of motors!

While this TN won’t win any beauty contest, it’s a reliable runner and could be used on a daily basis.

DSC00412

squierka39

Tubs, I agree with you for now. I’m talking about down the road a few years, tastes change in the collector and antique markets. In nearly any antique market for long term investment collecting the best thing to buy is always an original finish in top condition. Not so easy to find, restored accurately would be next. Currently fun colors sell well for the moment, hold onto it for 10 years and it may not be so good.
    Honorcode, sounds like you have a good plan.
    My tip, keep it fun and buy what you like. If you never make a profit then who cares, you had fun.

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.