Rock hard NOS gaskets

Home Forum Ask A Member Rock hard NOS gaskets

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 12 total)

• billw

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 2071
    Topics: 66

I got some NOS OMC gaskets for a decent price on eBay. They might be aftermarket because they are sort of tan in color and not the usual gray I would have expected. They are too hard to be used as “gaskets,” the way they are. Before I send them back, does anybody have any kind of technique for making them pliable again?

Long live American manufacturing!

Steve Martin

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)
    Replies: 156
    Topics: 28

They’d make great templates.

frankr

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)
    Replies: 6715
    Topics: 51

Yeah, they did that even when relatively new. They probably are shrunken also. Soak ’em in water.

amuller

Replies: 1055
    Topics: 163

Yes! Check for shrinkage before using as templates. Soaking gaskets sometimes restores them, sometimes dissolves them. Of course, if you soak them you probably can’t send them back 🙂

fleetwin

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 4737
    Topics: 46

What engines are these gaskets intended for? If they are for the FD Johnsons, I probably have plenty to spare for you….D

ede

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 181
    Topics: 7

Thought for the day. That’s why when I sell a part, it is a part that I would use. If there is any question about quality, I will toss in trash. It pays in the long run to do business club members.
    Ed Elliott

billw

US Member - 2 Years

What engines are these gaskets intended for? If they are for the FD Johnsons, I probably have plenty to spare for you….D

How’d ya know, Don? Ha ha! These in particular are for the FD, the gasket between the crankcase and the reed plate, 316540. I bought five because it seemed like a good price at the time…..I got what I paid for, I guess. They will make GREAT templates!!

joecb

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 906
    Topics: 92

Some gasket material, especially the tan Fel-Pro Karrapak is pretty hard even when new. I do think that it gets harder as it ages. Rather than water, maybe try “wetting” with light oil… especially since your gasket is heading for service in oil environment.

Joe B

billw

US Member - 2 Years

Some gasket material, especially the tan Fel-Pro Karrapak is pretty hard even when new. I do think that it gets harder as it ages. Rather than water, maybe try “wetting” with light oil… especially since your gasket is heading for service in oil environment.

Joe B

I was thinking of that, maybe some warm oil……When I was first starting out, an old time OMC mechanic told me the trick of coating those types of gaskets with oil, before assembly, for easy future removal. It has always seemed to work good for me; so I’d be putting some oil on them, anyway. I sure would like to just throw one in a hot oil change bucket but then I’d just be loading the gasket with contaminates…..

fleetwin

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 4737
    Topics: 46

Will look and see if I have any intake gaskets for the FD…

Sorry Bill, just have intake gaskets for the 10hps… I know Ken Hall has them though…D

• This reply was modified 3 years, 11 months ago by fleetwin.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.