Home Forum Ask A Member Rock hard NOS gaskets

Viewing 2 posts - 11 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    billw
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Thanks for looking, Don. I’m not afraid to make the gaskets and it is probably cheaper for me to do so, anyway, as those are a little pricey for what they are. I’ll work through the problem one way or another. It will just make it that much more satisfying when I am done. The power head of the Freezingham FD is almost done and will be a nice one, after a lot of work. Being salty, the final score was one exhaust cover Heli-coil, three head bolt Heli-coils and one spark plug Heli-coil. In the process, I figured out what the lower crank seal and bearing o-rings, and head expansion plugs were from McMaster Carr; so I now have a lifetime supply of those, for the cost of about one OEM o-ring or plug. For me, it’s not the final restoration that counts; it’s HOW I get them to be alive and reliable again. If only McMaster sold gaskets! They DO sell the paper, at least! Thanks again for that motor!

Long live American manufacturing!

• This reply was modified 3 years, 12 months ago by billw.
      fleetwin
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

The head on the nicer FD was NFG? I remember the head on the crusty FD was shot… The nicer FD was from fresh water, I’m sorry it fought you. The people left it in their boathouse for the winter, and the boathouse flooded. How’s about the gearcase? I know the crusty one had a housing with some strange wear, but the other one seemed pretty nice, except that it had no oil in it…Hoping combining the two will yield one decent gearcase…
        I hate to see you spend all that time making those complicated intake gaskets, I will give Ken a call if you like, he won’t charge the prices you are seeing online…D
        I’m pretty sure I have a head gasket for it, will look if you like…D

• This reply was modified 3 years, 12 months ago by fleetwin. Reason: addition
      Viewing 2 posts - 11 through 12 (of 12 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.