Home Forum Ask A Member Seal Removal

Viewing 6 posts - 21 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    crosbyman
    Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

how badly cracked is it….enough to leak or just enough to be worrisome…. why not try it and see what happens … if you can’t find the part changing oil may be an easier solution

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

bobw
      Participant

US Member

The plate is cracked around the seal bore area – bad enough to leak like a sieve. It could be I created the problem either when I removed the plate from the case or in the process of removing the old seal. I looked it over after both steps and didn’t see anything at that time but as I was getting ready to install the new seal I gave it another look and that’s when I found it.

Cracked-Plate

Bob

1937 Champion D2C Deluxe Lite Twin
        1954 Johnson CD-11
        1957 Evinrude Fastwin 18
        1958 Johnson QD-19
        1958 Johnson FD-12
        1959 Johnson QD-20

“Every 20 minute job is only a broken bolt away from a 3-day project.”
        "Every time you remove a broken or seized bolt an angel gets his wings."

• This reply was modified 4 years, 1 month ago by Mumbles.
        Mumbles
        Participant

These plates are getting harder to find in decent condition but I have done a quick fix on them using a quality epoxy until a good replacement can be found. They usually crack like that from prying them out. Now I heat the area of the gearcase where the plate mounts to soften any sealer which is holding it in.

If you go the epoxy route, the plate will first have to be cleaned really good for it to bond. After applying it to the plate, I install the plate, the pump housing, and the drive shaft to help keep everything in line. After letting it set up overnight, it can be reassembled permanently or at least until a replacement is found.

https://www.nlamarine.com/products/evinrude-johnson-outboard-10hp-gearcase-impeller-housing-base-bearing-377186?variant=19479668549

bobw
          Participant

US Member

thanks for the epoxy repair outline Mumbles. I’ll try that if I can’t find a replacement. I saw that one on NLA Marine last night but it says sold out. I’m following a possible lead from another source right now.

Bob

1954 Johnson CD-11
            1957 Evinrude Fastwin 18
            1958 Johnson QD-19
            1958 Johnson FD-12
            1959 Johnson QD-20

crosbyman
            Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

try TIM’s outboard they have lots of old parts and I found they are not to pricy

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

bobw
              Participant

US Member

Crosbyman – thanks for the lead. Found a good quality used plate at Tim’s Outboard for a great price!

Bob

1954 Johnson CD-11
                1957 Evinrude Fastwin 18
                1958 Johnson QD-19
                1958 Johnson FD-12
                1959 Johnson QD-20

Viewing 6 posts - 21 through 26 (of 26 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.