Home Forum Ask A Member Sierra’s Quality Control Non-Existent?

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    outboardnut
    Participant

US Member

is it possible to send this link to Sierra?

wedgie
      Participant
        quote outboardnut:

You’d have to translate it into Cantonese or Mandarin first. 😕

Mumbles
        Participant

Since dealer prices have skyrocketed lately, BRP coils are around $49 per and points are $29 plus change EACH! Condensers run around $7.50. The owner saved roughly $35 on the coils and $40 for the points and condensers. These are Cdn dollars and if the owner wasn’t a friend, he’d be paying what he saved on the parts towards the labour to install.

In all fairness, there are several overseas manufacturers of these coils so the others may not have the alignment issues this set did. Won’t know until I get a set in my hands.

The coils do throw a hot spark and the motor is running OK so I guess time will tell if the parts hold up or not.

Mumbles
          Participant
            quote Wedgie:

quote outboardnut:

You’d have to translate it into Cantonese or Mandarin first. 😕

沒關係! :geek:

pappy
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years
              quote Chris_P:

So how much money did he save having to pay you to do all the modifications!

Exactly…..I do not install junk Sierra parts…Period!
              Hope this guy is a friend of yours that you did a favor for.
              Cheaper for the customer to take the junk back and buy quality from you. Labor hours are billable hours.
              Great post to outline the need to continue purchasing quality OEM parts before the lack of sales forces BRP to say no more.
              The prices may be higher but if you sit and actually THINK about the service life of the parts and amortize the cost….it’s pretty cost effective.
              I remember guys on here grouching about the cost of carb packings at a dollar each….Heck they will last several decades! Money well spent in my book.

wedgie
              Participant

OMC laminate

Sierra laminate

The coils that I swapped on to the old laminates worked fine in the barell , but didn’t run them for long. I would want to test them out for a couple hours on the water before I would send a friend out with them. One thing I noticed is one set of my old laminates from an unknown motor are considerably thicker, and couldn’t be pressed in to the new China coils.

wedgie
                Participant

这是不正常

dan-in-tn
                  Participant

US Member

I may not understand the exchange rate Mumbles, but it should be consistent between Sierra parts & BRP parts should it not? If you are paying $29 for a set of points (#580148) you are getting screwed! Whoever you are getting them from? ME has them on sale in the tuneup kit right now for $21.77 for 2 sets of points, 2 condensors, & wick (#172522). I can buy that kit for less than that US dollars! The exchange rate is not double is it? Does ME not ship to Canada? The BRP coil prices are simular in price per coil. I know shipping is also high to Canada, but it is the same for the inferior parts as well. What gives here?

Dan in TN

gfgarland
                    Participant

Ya pays yer money and ya takes yer chances. You get what you pay for, OEM has always been the route to take for quality in any endeavor, but sadly they are not always available anymore, forcing you to search for good used or aftermarket. Bad as the parts are, they can be made to work and it may eventually come down to not having any choice in the matter as supplies dry up. Mercury is a good example of this, lots of parts for the older Mercs are becoming NLA very quickly severely limiting the type of repairs that can be done without resorting to used or aftermarket. Truth is, time will come when we will thank God for Sierra and others to keep our vintage rigs on the water. Just a fact of life.

fisherman6
                      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

HOLY Wha, Mums! $29 and change is way over market value for a set of OMC/BRP points. There has to be a less expensive alternative. The condensers aren’t terribly out of line for BRP, but the other stuff is so high even in $CDN. Maybe the shipping is making the cost way high. Even with the 1.32 exchange rate those prices seem way high. Not sure what gives? Maybe it’s just the dealer? I can’t afford to buy from dealers around me either. Besides none of them stock anything for my classic motors and I can order myself and have stuff shipped to my door rather than order from the dealer and have to drive back there during their business hours anyway. I’m all about supporting local dealers but there has to be a viable reason. In this case there isn’t one for me.
                        -Ben

OldJohnnyRude on YouTube

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 27 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.