Home Forum Ask A Member Sierra’s Quality Control Non-Existent?

Viewing 7 posts - 21 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    david-bartlett
    Participant

Mumbles,

We need to dig a tunnel under the border to get you the goods cheaper!

PugetSoundBoater
      Participant
        quote david bartlett:

Mumbles,

We need to dig a tunnel under the border to get you the goods cheaper!

what do you mean by "we"? 😀

"Some people want to know how a watch works, others just want to know what time it is"
        Robbie Robertson

Mumbles
        Participant

Dig a tunnel? Heck, that sounds like work!

Since we all have boats, why not meet me mid-channel near the yellow marker buoy? It’s about 50 yards North of the fence so I wont need to bring a passport. You bring coils and I’ll bring the Lucky! It doesn’t take long to get there on a calm day as it’s only about ten miles out of my marina!

Attachments:

billy-j
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Mumbles I know you are a excellent mechanic. I am surprised you did all that modifying to use those sub standard parts instead of just having your customer return them and buy quality parts. I am glad you did a visual account of your experience and shared it as I would not have believed the fit and quality are so bad. I blame Sierra more than the Taiwanese for this poor quality as they have the final say on what they sell.I would be curious what Sierra’s comment would be if you forwarded your pictures and accounting of what you had to do in order to use their product.Personally I buy Bombardier parts or NOS parts for my Johnson and Evinrude engines. The precious time and effort I can devote to going over an engine is not worth compromising for the sake of saving a few bucks on sub standard parts. regards Bill,

Pondrocket
            Participant

Lifetime Member

Exactly why I don’t buy Sierra parts. Impeller for a 4cyl Mark55a and others Single pic is a Sierra impeller #47-89982 double pic has the factory merc impeller #47-89982 which as you see the Sierra is roughly 1/8" thicker!! Get out the sledge.

Travis

Attachments:

Travis
              AOMCI VP Communications
              AOMCI Webmaster
              webmaster@aomci.org

outbdnut2
              Participant

US Member

I’ve used a lot of Sierra parts and most of them work OK, but I have had to pry hard with a big screwdriver to get those coil mounting holes to line up and force the laminations back far enough so they don’t rub; but I’ve gotten so I can do this pretty fast so I still use them. I use a lot of their impellers, but not for the low profile 9.9 and 15 Johnsons of the 1980s and early 1990s – their impellers, even with their new housings did not cool at a very slow trolling idle….in three different motors. The other thing I found was when I got a lower unit seal kit for a 1996 Mercruiser 4.3 liter V6 out-drive, the two seals for the driveshaft were not different OD like was needed, and when I got the Mercury kit, I found Mercury had made a revision, mounting these two seals in a slick, angled carrier to keep them from dislodging (as one of my original ones did) – Sierra did not have this modification.
                Dave

Mumbles
                Participant

That’s the worse misfit I’ve seen yet! The bad Sierra/OMC impellers are only a few thou too thick and can be sanded down to fit.

Quick coil question, has anyone used the riveted aftermarket coils and how do they fit compared to the stamped ones?

Attachments:

Viewing 7 posts - 21 through 27 (of 27 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.