Home Forum Ask A Member spark plug wires

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    cookjer24
    Participant

so got my 1959 golden jubilee 5.5 fisherman out for the year.went to start it only runing on one cylinder well after swaping coils and condeners and cleaning points..same thing no spark…found a small pin hole in the plug wire cut and redid conection now it works…but the ohter plug wire is bad ..it cuts the cylinder out at certian throttle spots..so what and where do you get the solid core plug wires for it or can you use regular auto wires.

frankr
      Participant

US Member

Depends on where you are. Some auto parts stores carry it, but many do not. Other possibilities:
        Truck / tractor / farm equipment stores, or auto parts stores that cater to farmers.
        Lawn mower shops
        Boat motor repair shops (duh)
        e-bay.
        on-line marine motor parts places

No, do not use carbon core auto wires

cookjer24
        Participant

i found some on amazon it stranded copper should work the same..no one in my area has solid copper wire..so 11 bucks for 10 feet of the stranded isnt bad in my book

crosbyman
          Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

get 7mm wire

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

cookjer24
            Participant

yep it is 7mm

chuckw
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Brillman company has Packard 440 wire. It is what I use on all my motors.

frankr
                Participant

US Member

7mm Stranded copper is what you want. I don’t think there is any such thing as solid copper spark plug wire.

cookjer24
                  Participant

yep there is solid copper wire..that is what on the motor right now…but stranded will work the same so that is what i got…cant wait for next week when it comes in…get it put together and go out run it for hours around the lakes…by chance does any one know if you put small amount of grease on the bottom side of mag plate when you reinstall it or leave it dry.

frankr
                    Participant

US Member

Grease it and mounting rings sparingly. Too much will just slop out and foul the breaker points.

jeff-register
                      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Have a neon shop close? Can get Hi Flex G.T.O. high voltage wire in any color you want & yes 7mm. Been using it in my 18hp Johnson 1958 for years now.
                        Very fine strands for easy flex, rated at 15,000 volts. G.T.O. = gas tube only

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.