Home Forum Ask A Member Substitute for Pivot Pin Washer Part # 304083

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    boscovius
    Participant

Hey fellas,

I’ve been working on these lower units a lot and I’ve heard along the way that the Pivot Pin Washer is a one time use thing.  Or maybe that was the washers for the oil fill and drain plugs?  Anyway, Marine engine wants $7 bucks a piece for the pivot pin washer and I think there’s got to be a more economical substitute that will do the job just as well.  My first thought was to use the fiber washer from the pressure tank Part # 301814.  The inner diameter is a perfect fit to allow the threads of the Pivot pin to pass though and the outer diameter fits nicely within the recess in the skeg for it.   When rebuilding my pressure tanks, I opted to source a substitute fiber washer that I found online.  They can be had for much cheaper.  Search B00L1ISF5C and  you will find them for about 28 cents apiece.  At any rate, I’m going to soak one in water for a week and see if it degrades any, and another I’ll soak in some 2 cycle mix and see if that does anything to it.  If I don’t notice any issues, I’m going to call it good enough unless someone can change my mind about it.  The rent is too damn high and 7 bucks is too much for a stinkin’ washer.

Mumbles
      Participant

Pivot pin washer for what?  Year, make, model?

crosbyman
        Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

philipps  head bolt nylon washer for the clutch dog ?? … just make one up.

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

boscovius
          Participant

Mumbles, I the only thing I know for sure is it isn’t the correct lower unit for my 57  big twin 35.  But I think I can say with confidence that it would be the same part and application.

My apologies, I should have been more clear.  This washer is the seal for the pivot pin on the clutch dog cradle.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 2 months ago by boscovius.
            frankr
            Participant

US Member

Heck, I’ve been known to make some from plastic bottles.  How cheap can you get?

crosbyman
              Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

were the plastic bottles your’s  🙂

Mumbles
                Participant

I use 1/4″ fibre washers from a hardware store or electrical supplier but I do like that plastic bottle idea!  The drain plug one left over from a 439071 carb kit works to.

drifter
                  Participant

I use a washer made from plastic coffee can lids. They work great for pressure tank washers too.

crosbyman
                    Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

washers made from  coffee lids   any good for the bigger oil fil/vent bolts   ???

aquasonic
                      Participant

US Member

An off the shelf nylon washer from the local hardware store will work too if you can find the right size.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 12 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.