Home Forum Ask A Member Teflon tape any good

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    crosbyman
    Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

btw…. with all these bolts on oldies is there any merritt to add a few layers of telfon tape to them when reinstalling them ???

a- to help seal the threads with the added material (plain white or thicker yellow teflon tape ??? )

b- to make life easier when it comes time to unscrew something… like cyl head bolts etec… ???

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

PugetSoundBoater
      Participant

With the temperatures of the powerhead, i think the inexpensive real thin Teflon tape might melt, be effected by oil and fuel and not be very effective. It is made for sealing threaded connections for water , natural gas and propane pipe plumbing connections. There are some more expensive types that might work ok. I believe there are better options ,anti- Seize and BRP Gasket Sealant as recommended in their manuals, and recommended by our members who worked for OMC. Thanks guys.
        I use BRP Gasket Sealant on all the bolts on the whole motor. Not just on the threaded portion, the whole bolt. Corrosion can start under the bolt head ,not just the threads. It is kind of messy, gotta clean around the bolt head when you are finished for a nice neat job.
        There are some good anti -seize compounds that work well also. I have some Jet Lube Marine Grade Anti – Seize i use on the trailer wheel lug nuts etc.

Happy New Year !
        EDIT

"Some people want to know how a watch works, others just want to know what time it is"
        Robbie Robertson

crosbyman
        Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

thanks for good points.

I assumed that Teflon would have been somewhat resistant to water cooled engine temperatures since teflon itself is used extensively in cookware … enduring high heat ranges …salts, grease and oils.

Happy New Year everyone !

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

jeff-register
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

What I have had good luck with is steam pipe anti seize paste. comes in a small can with an app brush & appears
            silver in a toothpaste like thickness. Hot dry steam sounds like a pipe being hit with a hammer as it pulses.
            I use this on all threaded apps,

bobw
            Participant

US Member

I typically use the BRP gasket sealer on all screws and bolts when I reinstall them, but another good option I’ve also used on my bay boat in salt water is a Teflon based pipe thread sealant. I use Oatey Great White pipe thread sealer with PTFE, available at any big box store or plumbing supply house.

Bob

1937 Champion D2C Deluxe Lite Twin
              1954 Johnson CD-11
              1957 Evinrude Fastwin 18
              1958 Johnson QD-19
              1958 Johnson FD-12
              1959 Johnson QD-20

“Every 20 minute job is only a broken bolt away from a 3-day project.”
              "Every time you remove a broken or seized bolt an angel gets his wings."

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.