Home Forum Ask A Member Ugly Duckling

Viewing 10 posts - 31 through 40 (of 75 total)
  • Author
    bullie
    Participant

I have been practicing my soldering skills this morning on a couple of spark testers I like but the wires are constantly breaking off of and I am happy to report that my skill level has advanced to the drunk dirt dauber with Parkinson Disease stage. I did manage to stick the testers back together again though. And this time with a much better quality and slightly larger gauge wire so hopefully they won’t twist off as regularly.

bullie
      Participant

All this progress with only 3.5 hours of YouTube videos under my belt. I am sure I will be ready to tackle the coil wire very soon.

bullie
        Participant

Ok. Serious question this time. The coil I purchased has 3 wires and the coil on my motor has 4. The new coil doesn’t have the ground wire that attaches directly below the coil. Will this work ok? I have halted the great soldering experiment until this little issue is worked out.

Note: Concerning this little ground wire attached directly below the coil to the mag plate. I noticed it spins freely in either direction. I doubt that is normal. I did check my new coil and all seems good. I just don’t have the experience to know if replacing old coil with the 3 wire coil is ok.

frankr
          Participant

US Member

Without going into detail, SOME motors had "Maverick Spark Suppressors". Those required a separate ground wire for the secondary winding. In other words, they had 4 wires total. Unless I am totally mistaken, your motor does not have the spark suppressors, so it doesn’t need a separate ground wire for the secondary winding. So, securely ground the one ground wire, hook the rest up normally, and you are good to go.

bullie
            Participant
              quote FrankR:

Without going into detail, SOME motors had "Maverick Spark Suppressors". Those required a separate ground wire for the secondary winding. In other words, they had 4 wires total. Unless I am totally mistaken, your motor does not have the spark suppressors, so it doesn’t need a separate ground wire for the secondary winding. So, securely ground the one ground wire, hook the rest up normally, and you are good to go.

Thanks Frank. Did my dirt dauber best on the plug wire and reassembled the ignition. I have spark! I only had to make one trip to the hardware store to replace the little bitty ground screw that I dropped somewhere when cleaning the mag plate.

bullie
              Participant

I did mess up the float valve needle though. Gotta find one a new one if possible.

frankr
                Participant

US Member

Larson Outboards carries reproduction float valves. It will have a larger hole, but that is ok. Bigger doesn’t matter, smaller does.
                  http://martinoutboards.com/

bullie
                  Participant

Thanks. Sent them an inquiry.

bullie
                    Participant

I gave credit to the wrong guy when I was making the video. Russ at Larson’s helped me out with the right needle and seat. Unfortunately, either I am not smart enough to get the prop to spin or something in the lower unit is broken. I checked the shear pin and it is fine so I really have no idea right now.

Anyway, the Ugly Duckling is back to life. As poor and pitiful as that may be.
                      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQ4si4-O5rg

frankr
                      Participant

US Member

Those coils are dang near bulletproof. If it has secondary winding continuity, it’s good. I agree, take the points apart, degrease everything, and polish each contact individually. Be careful not to lose any of the many little insulators. Reassemble & adjust point gap to .020" You probably will have spark.

The clearance between coil and rotating magnet is important. I’ll have to hunt for the specs that I stored somewhere. Most important, it should not be rubbing.

Viewing 10 posts - 31 through 40 (of 75 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.