Home Forum Ask A Member upper crankshaft seal source,66 3hp Evinrude

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    solofly
    Participant

Looking  for a replacement source for an upper crankshaft seal for 1966 Evinrude 3 hp folding motor. Thanks.

outboardnut
      Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)
        solofly
        Participant

Thanks….is the crankshaft seal in the parts list labeled differently? Nothing called a seal is listed. Did I miss something?

labrador-guy
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Solo there is no seal on the top only a slinger.   The slinger diverts any gas oil mix that gets by the bearing to a duct that is connected to the carb side of the reed valve.  That duct must be open so the intake vacuum can draw the excess gas to be re burned.   This is OMC’s oil pumping system, to get extra lube to the main bearings.

dale

solofly
            Participant

Thanks, That’s correct. I found a photo showing slinger with an O-ring on top. Is the O-ring generic…have to pull & try to match or is it common to other engines?

labrador-guy
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Solo I should say that most of the old motors that I have had apart had a bushings on the crankshaft.  If there is an O ring it is usually between a roller bearing and the engine case.  An O ring will not last long against the spinning crankshaft.  1966 is to new for me!

dale

get’em wet!….don’t let’em set!

seakaye12
                Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)
                Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.