Home Forum Ask A Member v bottom boat

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Tinman
    Participant

US Member

hello everyone. Looking to buy my first v bottom boat. always had flat bottom jons. Looking at one that is 15 long was told it was 61 inches across the beam. Im looking for something stable so i can stand and something that can at least handle up to a 20 hp motor….anyhting i need to look for? what is a good size to for stability? also need something fairly lightwieght so i can handle it by myself. thanks.

Tinman
      Participant

US Member

The boat is a richline brand.

auldscott
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

The thing that strikes me is “…lightweight so I can handle it by myself.” If you plan to pick it up and carry it yourself, or load/unload it using a truck, the 15 footer with a 61 inch beam is probably going to weigh about 225 lbs and be awkward to handle.

As to handling a 20 hp, most boats that size will, but check the capacity plate.

The 61 inch beam is a little narrow, but it’s nothing like a 48 inch beam (or thereabouts) jon boat as to stability.

I have a 14 foot v-bottom with a 65 inch beam. It weighs 250 lb and is rated for up to 30 hp. I can stand up in it with some confidence, but it’s still a small boat.

Tinman
          Participant

US Member

By lightweight I mean move around on a trailer fairly easy by myself. Not looking to pick it up. The reason for looking at a v bottom was a few lakes I fish the flat bottom is pretty rough when the water gets choppy.

jcrigan
            Participant

You will probably need a long shaft outboard as the transom will be around 20″.

Tinman
              Participant

US Member

It’s a 15″ transom.

crosbyman
                Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

15″ ?? better not have strong back winds

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

vintin
                  Participant

I’ve got a 1958 Alumacraft Deep C that I would sell for $575.

Alumacraft-Deep-C

Tinman
                    Participant

US Member

Where are you located?

vintin
                      Participant

Auburn GA 30011

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 16 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.