Home Forum Ask A Member Value of Mercury Mark 25 Restored

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    cheetahgod
    Participant

What is the value of a pristine restored red mercury mark 25? Thanks.

westwind
      Participant

Canada Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

That is certainly a more complicated question than it seems. Are you buying or selling? Rebuilt from top to bottom or just cosmetics? Electric Start? Tank and remote controls too? Location?

cheetahgod
        Participant

Looking to buy one. Just the mark 25 not e. Found one that is Restored both mechanically and comestically with remote steering setup.

mercuryman
          Participant

I recently purchased a Mark 25 in central Florida , the seller claimed it was rebuilt but not repainted. It started right up , pumped water and would run slow, on the first three pulls. I paid $275 and was happy with it.

cheetahgod
            Participant

The one for sale is red and silver instead of red and white.

chris-p
              Participant

I get this question a lot, and the answer I give is, it depends on who restored it!

Some guys idea of a restoration is MUCH different than anothers.

How much would I pay for a 30s vintage OMC that Bill Salisbury mechanically restored? ALOT more than some Joe Blow that changed the plug wires.

SOrry about the vague answers, but its not a cut and dry question. Bottom line, if you are happy with the price, go for it.

wbeaton
                Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

It also depends who’s selling it. I’d never sell a MK25 that I’ve restored for $275. I’ve seen project MK25’s sell for that much. Of course, a tune up and a paint job is not a restoration to me.

Wayne
                  Upper Canada Chapter

uccaomci.com

westwind
                  Participant

Canada Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

If you are going to buy, mostly it needs to meet your ability to pay or feelings of what it’s worth to you. It can cost quite a lot to restore one properly, depending on what you find inside and what level of materials you intend to use. I wouldn’t be surprised to have over $1000 in one after you buy a decent rebuildable motor and then invest in the parts for a full rebuild and paint. You could have quite a lot just in ignition parts on a Bendix ignition motor for instance. Maybe you can find someone willing to sell at a loss just to make some space. If there is a particular colour combination you are looking for, you might wait a long time to find a deal.

wiscoboater
                    Participant

Here is one you can use for comparison. I have seen them go for alot more on Ebay. Like Chris stated earlier, it depends on who restored it and how. Many guys consider a used motor with good mechanicals and is running with a new coat of paint and decals a "restored" motor. Others would call that nothing of the sort. Find out what was done. A true restoration would include a complete strip down, evaluating all components of the complete motor and refurbishing or replacing worn or damaged parts to bring the motor back to "as new showroom condition". If the seller can not tell you with some kind of proof that the motor was truly restored, bid accordingly or pass on it. The motor in the ad below is advertised as a beautifully restored motor. I can pick out 3 things in the intro photo that says it’s not. Can you?

http://appleton.craigslist.org/bpo/5875734936.html

20mercman
                      Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)
                        quote westwind:

If you are going to buy, mostly it needs to meet your ability to pay or feelings of what it’s worth to you. It can cost quite a lot to restore one properly, depending on what you find inside and what level of materials you intend to use. I wouldn’t be surprised to have over $1000 in one after you buy a decent rebuildable motor and then invest in the parts for a full rebuild and paint. You could have quite a lot just in ignition parts on a Bendix ignition motor for instance. Maybe you can find someone willing to sell at a loss just to make some space. If there is a particular colour combination you are looking for, you might wait a long time to find a deal.

I can attest that you can invest a significant amount in a full rebuild. It is not hard to put $200-300 in parts in a power head alone. $125-150 to rebuild a magneto is certainly ball park if your points are reusable. Lower units can be another area where you can invest a significant amount of money to make them right. It also makes a huge difference on where you find your parts. Joe Poole is a great source here, and he is reasonable. If you have something you need, and there is only 1 available on e-bay, then you have to pay for it….My scrap pile polished Mark-25 was really an expensive motor to restore in the end as I needed almost every type of wear item, bearing, seal, etc. However when you have done this, you have a motor that is a know quality, and not something that is 68 years old and you don’t really know. So as westwind posted, $1000 invested in one is in no way out of the question. We really don’t build these to make money anyway though.

Steve

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 30 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.