Home Forum Ask A Member Weak spark on 1973 20 Hp Johnson

Viewing 10 posts - 61 through 70 (of 73 total)
  • Author
    Evinrude 25
    Participant

I had completely torn the whole block apart and honed the cylinders with the honing tool. I clean up mating surface with emery cloth!

fleetwin
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

OK, well let us know how it runs with the other carb…

Evinrude 25
        Participant

I Just bought a new gasket. I removed the head and wanted to change it but I when I spined the flywheel and heard this sound. Is it normal? Please review the video.
          https://youtu.be/-L92BvQHY6w

cajuncook1
          Participant

Put it in neutral and remove your manual pull starter assembly. Look for anything rubbing around the flywheel as you are turning it.

You can do a much better job of torquing the cylinder head if you remove the power head from the base.

Mumbles
            Participant

It’s not your dry impeller making that noise, is it?

fleetwin
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

It’s not your dry impeller making that noise, is it?

That’s what I was thinking….Sounds like the impeller, but seems to be a pretty darn tight fit….Pull the gearcase off and spin it again….

cajuncook1
                Participant

PM me with your email address, I will send you an electronic pdf service manual for a 1973 Johnson 25hp outboard to help you along.

Cajuncook1

Evinrude 25
                  Participant

Yes, as per your suggestion, I put my ear closer to the lower unit and heard the sound down there. It is a dry impeller!
                    So today I ground the head on 1000 grid sand paper and install the new gasket. I torque down first step at 6 ft lb and second step at 10 ft.lb. Then I stop for now. I remember Fleetwin mentions the torque value 120 in lb but I look up other Forrum, the head torque value to 210-240 in lb. please correct me the right torque value. I cculd not use the torque gun to torque two bottom bolts so I did it with the wrench at the best I could closer to 120 in. lb. I don’t want to remove the whole block since I have to order a new base gasket.

bobw
                    Participant

US Member

96 to 120 in-lb. is correct.

Bob

1937 Champion D2C Deluxe Lite Twin
                      1954 Johnson CD-11
                      1957 Evinrude Fastwin 18
                      1958 Johnson QD-19
                      1958 Johnson FD-12
                      1959 Johnson QD-20

“Every 20 minute job is only a broken bolt away from a 3-day project.”
                      "Every time you remove a broken or seized bolt an angel gets his wings."

fleetwin
                      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Just wondering what got you to pull the head back off…. Kinda thought you were gonna try a different carb, did I miss something?

Viewing 10 posts - 61 through 70 (of 73 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.