Home Forum Ask A Member Weak spark on 1973 20 Hp Johnson

Viewing 3 posts - 71 through 73 (of 73 total)
  • Author
    jeff-register
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Don,
      Please help me understand why OMC used twice the parts to perform the same function. Not being judgementl but see no reasoning to add to costs for not much logic? Honest!!
      Best,
      Jeff

Evinrude 25
      Participant

Hello fleetwin,
        I pull the head back off since people suggested the water getting into the cylinder. Because I reused the old gasket so why not to replace it with the new one and inspect the head and cylinder.
        I have not swap the carb yet since both of the motor has different cam roller (1966 has bigger cam roller), 1973 has a tiny cam follower.

fleetwin
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Don,
          Please help me understand why OMC used twice the parts to perform the same function. Not being judgementl but see no reasoning to add to costs for not much logic? Honest!!
          Best,
          Jeff

Well Jeff, this ignition system was kind of a stop gap solution between the universal mag and CDII. Engineering wanted to set up newer models to accept the pieces parts for the CDII ignition system even though they hadn’t completed its design testing for smaller engines. Using this system eliminated the space used under the flywheel by the second coil, leaving space for a small alternator winding.
          In the case of this smaller 22CI engine, they used the original style mag plate and adapted it to the low tension coil. I guess engineers didn’t want to spend money retooling this 22CI powerhead only because it would be replaced with the larger 32CI powerhead in a few years. The 32CI powerhead was designed to bolt up to CDII, even though this low tension system was used on the 1976 introductory models.

Viewing 3 posts - 71 through 73 (of 73 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.