Home Forum Ask A Member West Bend Commodore 18

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    strobachyzoo
    Participant

I picked up a1962 18 hp West bend Commodore basket case some years ago, and now that I have some time on my hands I’d like to get it up and running…
      But it is missing a few parts. I need a lower gear case seal kit, Impeller 901065-1, Impeller housing A144060 (because the shaft was stuck in the bottom of the crank I ended up pulling the impeller through it) ,the bevel gear bearing is bad/rough the number on the bearing is453679. Also missing Is the throttle cable A901444 and one of the pulleys. Current part numbers would be helpful.

Thanks, Kurt

wiscoboater
      Participant

Contact these guys. They have quite a few West Bend parts. They are besides Ebay about the only place I know of for West Bend parts.
        http://www.laingsoutboards.com/chryslerforceparts.html

billw
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I think that a lot of that stuff will be common to the more common-place 12 hp West Bend and possibly a number of Elgins. You may find that getting a whole parts motor through this site’s free classifieds might be the best financial bet. Somewhere, I think I still have West Bend and Elgin Micro fiche, if nobody else has it on their computer, if you need to compare part numbers.

I had a 12 hp West Bend that needed a water pump. I made the lower wear plate out of 1/8 aluminum, then used the impeller and cup from a 9.9/15 OMC in a 1985 4 hp plastic pump housing. (E4BRHLCOB) The impeller and cup fit right over the shaft and the 9.9/15 cup fit right into the 4hp plastic housing. The housing screwed onto tapped holes in the 1/8" lower wear plate. It pumped like a fire truck. Just make sure you cut the intake hole in the wear plate in the right place. I am not sure whether the shaft size between the 12 and the 18 is the same but the motors are VERY similar in physical size.

Long live American manufacturing!

jerry-ahrens
          Participant

US Member

Bill that’s an interesting idea on the water pump. I had never thought of doing something like that. That idea could work on many different applications where the impeller is NLA. I think that I have found an inexpensive impeller to fit the 12 hp West Bend. I am going to try it today to see if it works. The NLA Merc impeller that fits these are insanely expensive on Ebay [to the tune of $70] I’ll report back my findings later today.

jerry-ahrens
            Participant

US Member

Ok, here is the impeller update. The new OEM Quicksilver impeller is a perfect match for my 12 hp [West Bend built] Elgin. If the 18 hp motor uses the same impeller cup, etc. this might work. Maybe someone can research that, as I don’t have an 18 hp parts catalog. This impeller retails for $20 from Mercury Marine.

Attachments:

retiredoz
              Participant

US Member

It appears from my Commodore parts list that the 18-hp would share the water pump with the 12-hp Elgin/West Bend of similar vintage. I have the parts list for the Commodore 10, which is supposed to be a clone of the WB 12, and it uses the same pump..

strobachyzoo
                Participant

Thanks for the input on the impeller.
                  I know the 12hp Elgin lower end is just about identical as I have a ’58 Elgin here also.
                  I picked up a lower gear case from a seller on ebay supposedly form a 72 Chrysler 20hp that is mechanically an exact match to the Commodore 18 (skeg shape was different) But I still need a seal kit for it. Would a Sierra 18-2638 or 10-2639 seal kit work? I picked up a pack of obsolete Chrysler 9C 78555 Gaskets for where the upper and lower gear cases bolt together but still need the seals.

download/file.php?mode=view&id=1886

Attachments:

jerry-ahrens
                  Participant

US Member

I haven’t got that far into my lower unit yet, but I do need a new driveshaft seal for sure. I did notice that the driveshaft seal has a part # stamped on the rubber, so maybe you could match it that way. You may get lucky with the Sierra kit.
                    Keep in mind that I have not yet ran my motor with the above mentioned impeller. If the impeller that came out of mine was the correct one to begin with [ which I think it was] then I should be good to go. If you try the 47-F436065-2 impeller, I would keep an eye on the exaust relief discharge to make sure it’s pumping water well, just to make sure it’s not overheating.

strobachyzoo
                    Participant

The bevel gear bearing on the bottom of the driveshaft that is bad (old number 453679) measures .785" id 1.85" od .55" thick.
                      I just ordered an open SKF 6204 bearing for it and we’ll see how it works, according to the specs it looks to be a match.
                      I’m still looking for input on a seal kit for the lower gear housing though… Anyone?

Thanks, Kurt

lotec
                      Participant

I have the West Bend/Elgins ranging from 5.5 to 35hp and have not found anyone to stock a full seal kit for their lower units. Some of the seals cross with later Chrysler/Force motors but finding them isnt easy. I usually just measure them and order individually from McMaster Car or Chicago Rawhide. If you Google around you can find the SKF or Timkin catalogs and then goto any vendor that offers them. I recently got a good deal on a few for my 1952 Elgin 16 from Rock Auto – seemed like they delivered before i hit enter on the order!.

Your 18 is essentially the same as the 1959 West Bend 16 that I have. It is a super running motor, smooth, quiet and quite fast and powerful. Its light too weighing something like 60lbs. You will like it when you get it to go!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 11 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.