Home Forum Ask A Member What brand/manufacturer is this motor

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    10thouMN
    Participant

Hey all,

My dad had this lil motor in garage since I was a kid, it never ran while he had it. It followed the family from California to Minnesota, so about all I can tell you is that I think that it’s older than me so 50+ years. Anyway there are no tags on the motor/gas tank itself, I know the carb says Tillotson Mfg Co. Toledo Ohio. The only other wording I can find is Wico electric company Springfield Mass.

jcrigan
      Participant

I am guessing that’s a Champion from the middle 30’s. Could you post a few more pictures of the cylinders and the gearbox? You may find some letters and numbers stamped between the transom clamps. Those would be the model and serial number.

Buccaneer
        Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

I turned them right side up and made them bigger, and I’m still not sure, lol,
          but the tank looks like Champion perhaps.

outboard1

outboard2

Prepare to be boarded!

1 user thanked author for this post.
          bobw
          Participant

The fuel tank and that style of carry handle on the back sure looks like a Champion but don’t know what model.

Bob

1937 Champion D2C Deluxe Lite Twin
            1954 Johnson CD-11
            1957 Evinrude Fastwin 18
            1958 Johnson QD-19
            1958 Johnson FD-12
            1959 Johnson QD-20

“Every 20 minute job is only a broken bolt away from a 3-day project.”
            "Every time you remove a broken or seized bolt an angel gets his wings."

10thouMN
            Participant

Hey thanks for letting me me know your thoughts! I’ll share some more pictures ASAP.!

bobw
              Participant

Missing various parts but looks like a 1930s model Champion. Scrape off the dirt and see if you can read any numbers where I marked in this picture. Should tell us the model and serial number. Also look for a number stamped on the side of the Tillotson carburetor.

Bob

1954 Johnson CD-11
                1957 Evinrude Fastwin 18
                1958 Johnson QD-19
                1958 Johnson FD-12
                1959 Johnson QD-20

• This reply was modified 3 years ago by bobw.
                10thouMN
                Participant

Wow! I thought that was black paint. Carb shows MS 114A I think. I think I found some brass… With every nut and bolt I have removed they have come off as easy as if they were new, not bragging but this type of stuff never happens to me. 😬

10thouMN
                  Participant

Just found a missing part on eBay!

bobw
                    Participant

OK, the first 2 numbers tell us it’s a 1941 Champion model 2G, Viking Twin 5.3hp. That is also confirmed by the Tillotson MS114A carb number, which was the carb used on that model Champion.

Bob

1954 Johnson CD-11
                      1957 Evinrude Fastwin 18
                      1958 Johnson QD-19
                      1958 Johnson FD-12
                      1959 Johnson QD-20

10thouMN
                      Participant

Thanks again for everyone’s help, I do appreciate it! I’ll have to do some digging as to how this beast should look, that being said, I doubt it will look pristine. But something that’s 80 years old and 50+ years since it had run might take some bucks, sweat and beers. May even have to get me a boat!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 14 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.