Home Forum Ask A Member What do you use to seal block halvles? permatex aviation sealant ok to use?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    outboardnut
    Participant

US Member
      chris-p
      Participant

No that will not work. Must be anaerobic.

Loctite 515 or 518 are off the shelf options.

The Permatex equivalents are 51531 or 51813

The OEM Product is Gel Seal II 324073 or 767244

I have a funny feeling this is all the same stuff in different packaging! (The 518/51813 and Gel Seal)

bobw
        Participant

US Member

Although I have almost always seen an anaerobic sealer recommended for sealing crankcase halves, I’ve also seen folks recommending and using Permatex Motoseal gasket maker. While rebuilding one of my motors, I contacted the Permatex tech support group and inquired about their anaerobic sealant or their Motoseal product for use in 2-cycle crankcases. They actually recommended the Motoseal. I’m certainly no expert, but I’d like to hear other’s thoughts on this. Here’s the Motoseal link. Sounds like it would work?

https://www.permatex.com/products/uncategorized/permatex-motoseal-1-ultimate-gasket-maker-grey/

Bob

1937 Champion D2C Deluxe Lite Twin
          1954 Johnson CD-11
          1957 Evinrude Fastwin 18
          1958 Johnson QD-19
          1958 Johnson FD-12
          1959 Johnson QD-20

“Every 20 minute job is only a broken bolt away from a 3-day project.”
          "Every time you remove a broken or seized bolt an angel gets his wings."

chris-p
          Participant

Typical Situations may be fine, I have a feeling it has “fillers” in it. Not good for crankcase halves. You do not want ANY hardening of the material until the halves are torqued to avoid air leaks. Probably work fine on a gearcase though? Not sure, I have personally never tried it.

My 2 cents is anaerobic sealers are not hard to find, so why not just use them as per OEM recommendation? Not sure why you would want to use anything else really, that’s just me though.

phil
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

What make/year is the engine?

http://www.omc-boats.org
              http://www.aerocraft-boats.org

Pete
              Participant

US Member

I have seen some use the Permatex No3 on the split cases you note but i wouldn’t use it – too thick.

On the split crank case 2 strokes I use Permatex anaerobic 51813 (Locktit 518 equivalent), it is a red gel. Important to note the blocks on split Crank Case engines are machined with the halves bolted together without any sealant. Therefore any sealant that is too thick will upset the dimension of the machined halves and can effect the crank centering and bearing fit. If done right the anaerobic will be much less than 0.0005″ ( 1/2 part in 10,000). In fact when cases are separated for service I hardly see any sealant but cases surfaces must be true.

I always check the flatness of the 2 mating surfaces with a machinists steel rule in all directions using a back light on the rule to see highs and lows (they happen especially at bolt and locator pin areas) and lightly dress if needed. If not perfectly flat and parallel there will be seal problems. Clean the surfaces with alcohol before applying sealer, then apply a ‘very small amount of the sealer as a bunch of small dots on both surfaces and spread around with clean finger so you get a uniform very slightly red coating so when bolted there is no squeeze out. All you are doing is filling the factory rotary surfacing machine marks, small scratches and other small imperfections on the surfaces. I have never had a leak at the case joint on the Mercury race engines. I torque in 3 stages in proper sequence from center out.

Add – I keep the cranks case halves slightly apart while inserting the bolts and nuts in the case to prevent the
                anaerobic sealer from starting to set too quick and it will, prevents extra thickness of sealer from forming.

I have never tried the Permatex Motoseal, the anaerobic does the job so well I see no reason to change.

labrador-guy
                Participant

US Member - 2 Years

My two cents on this question. I come from motorcycle and snowmobile experience and I have found that “yamaha bond” is incredible sealer for any kind of machine surfaces that need to be sealed WITHOUT a gasket. It is thin and after it cures the two halfs stick together well. It is what I use.

dale

outboardnut
                  Participant

US Member

To Phil 1955 RDE-17S 25 hp Johnson

phil
                    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

To Phil 1955 RDE-17S 25 hp Johnson

Do the newfangled anerobiic gel sealers work with blocks that were made for spaghetti seal?

http://www.omc-boats.org
                      http://www.aerocraft-boats.org

chris-p
                      Participant

Phil,

Yes they do.

Some Guys however put a thin bead of 3M 847 down in the spaghetti seal groove to hold the spaghetti seal in place, then coat both sides of the crankcase flange with a thin coating of Anaerobic Sealer.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 11 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.