Home Forum Ask A Member 10hp Johnson.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    john8504
    Participant

Found this gem and the guy wants 100 for it when he originally was asking 400. Motor is free and doesn’t run. I offered him 65.00. Thoughts?

Attachments:

bobw
      Participant

US Member

I’d run a compression check and make sure it’s not missing any pieces. If the motor turns over, has good compression and the gears seem to shift OK, I’d say $65 is a good offer. I’d be willing to give him his $100 because vintage motors like that are hard to come by in my area. If it all passes muster, I’d love to have that one for my next restoration project.

Bob

1937 Champion D2C Deluxe Lite Twin
        1954 Johnson CD-11
        1957 Evinrude Fastwin 18
        1958 Johnson QD-19
        1958 Johnson FD-12
        1959 Johnson QD-20

“Every 20 minute job is only a broken bolt away from a 3-day project.”
        "Every time you remove a broken or seized bolt an angel gets his wings."

john8504
        Participant

Down here, they are kinda all around and are not in bad shape because it’s fairly dry heat.

fleetwin
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Seems like a fair offer…I would check/drain gear lube, check compression and for overheats, check for bent broken castings or other missing pieces before offering much more…

fisherman6
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

If it’s all there and you can get it for 65 bucks I’d say you did great. That’s a 54 so it’s the last year of the cast in Seahorse on the exhaust housing and the first year of the hinged up and off cowl.
              -Ben

OldJohnnyRude on YouTube

lindy46
              Participant

US Member

Does it come with a tank? Good pressure tanks are worth $65 alone.

fleetwin
                Participant

US Member - 2 Years
                  quote lindy46:

Does it come with a tank? Good pressure tanks are worth $65 alone.

Good point, forgot about the tank….But, the tank is useless if it is gummed up/rusted on the inside…

elgin2
                  Participant

US Member

I paid $30 for one. Had to re-seal the lower unit. Great running motor.

john8504
                    Participant

Tank is not included however I do have a guy that has on that I can pick up for 25.00.

He won’t budge off of 100. Still a good deal I guess?

Attachments:

bobw
                      Participant

US Member

$100 for the motor + $20 for a tank = $120 for the package. I’d take that deal if compression and lower unit checks out OK on the motor and the tank is in decent condition. I’d expect you might have to replace the tank gaskets, diaphragm, etc. but a $20 tank full of rust or holes is certainly no bargain.

Bob

1937 Champion D2C Deluxe Lite Twin
                        1954 Johnson CD-11
                        1957 Evinrude Fastwin 18
                        1958 Johnson QD-19
                        1958 Johnson FD-12
                        1959 Johnson QD-20

“Every 20 minute job is only a broken bolt away from a 3-day project.”
                        "Every time you remove a broken or seized bolt an angel gets his wings."

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 27 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.