Home Forum Ask A Member 10hp Johnson.

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    john8504
    Participant

Updated pics of tank above. Looks new inside

bobw
      Participant

US Member

That’s not a 2-line pressure tank and won’t work with that motor unless you plan to convert the motor to run on a single line standard tank like that. Still, $20 for that tank is a good deal – it looks to be in great shape. The fuel pump conversion on that motor is easy to do.

Bob

1937 Champion D2C Deluxe Lite Twin
        1954 Johnson CD-11
        1957 Evinrude Fastwin 18
        1958 Johnson QD-19
        1958 Johnson FD-12
        1959 Johnson QD-20

“Every 20 minute job is only a broken bolt away from a 3-day project.”
        "Every time you remove a broken or seized bolt an angel gets his wings."

john8504
        Participant

With the fuel pump conversion, will it run on a single line? Also where would I get the conversion kit?

bobw
          Participant

US Member

Yes, if you do the fuel pump conversion it will run on a standard single line tank. There is no conversion "kit" per se, but you can look on utube or do a google search for "OMC fuel pump conversion" and you can find out how to do it. There are 2 different options on how to modify the motor intake to make it work – you can find both options on utube. Or maybe another member has a video or written instructions on how it’s done.

Bob

1954 Johnson CD-11
            1957 Evinrude Fastwin 18
            1958 Johnson QD-19
            1958 Johnson FD-12
            1959 Johnson QD-20

john8504
            Participant

Sound so great

Mumbles
              Participant

The easiest way to mount a fuel pump would be to find a ’60-’63 bypass cover with the pump mount already made into it. A common small square pump as found on 9.9/15 horse motors will feed your ten no problem. These bypass covers came with either a high or low mounting point for the pump but it doesn’t make any difference which one you use.

Attachments:

bobw
                Participant

US Member

Good suggestion Mumbles. Didn’t even think of that solution. Was thinking about how I had to modify my 1954 5.5hp with no bypass covers. The bypass cover mod is the easiest way to go for sure.

Bob

1954 Johnson CD-11
                  1957 Evinrude Fastwin 18
                  1958 Johnson QD-19
                  1958 Johnson FD-12
                  1959 Johnson QD-20

frankr
                  Participant

US Member

If you want to take the time to be creative, you can make an adapter plate to go over the existing bypass cover. I used to make some, but quit due to lack of interest.

garry-in-michigan
                    Participant

Lifetime Member

I converted a five horse I had in for an overhaul (which included oversize pistons and rings) by drilling through the upper top and bottom exhaust ports. I used modified counter sunk headed screws inside the bypass to screw a quarter inch aluminum plate like Frank made to the side of the engine. I retained the 4 gallon tank, caping off the manifold pressure nipple and zip tied the hose to the starter support bracket on the intake manifold to act as an air vent. That way he always had the proper fuel / oil ratio for the five horse Fisherman. . . 😎

bobw
                      Participant

US Member

I’m still relatively new at restoring these old motors and like that line in one of Clint Eastwood’s old Dirty Harry movies, "a man’s got to know his limitations". I know I’m not ready yet to attempt that kind of conversion but it sure sounds interesting.

Bob

1954 Johnson CD-11
                        1957 Evinrude Fastwin 18
                        1958 Johnson QD-19
                        1958 Johnson FD-12
                        1959 Johnson QD-20

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 27 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.