Home Forum Ask A Member 1930 Elto Senior Speedster paint scheme

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Buccaneer
    Participant

US Member

Was anything besides the cylinders painted originally on the subject motor?
      I’ve looked at many photos, some look like bare aluminum, some
      look like silver paint.
      Mine had silver and light gray paint here and there.
      Thanks.

Prepare to be boarded!

pm-t2
      Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

The casting that bolts to the lower unit is supposed to be black, as is the tiller arm.

I know on the Super C, the muffler ends were painted black but the edges of the ribs were polished.

All other motor parts, including the cylinder, were painted dull aluminum, or silver, if you will. I think you may find that if you wash off motor parts with lacquer thinner, you’ll see the silver paint start showing up in your thinner bath.

I’m not aware of any gray paint being applied to these motors.

The tank was polished with the decal providing the colour splash.

Hope this helps.

best,
        PM T2

squierka39
        Participant

US Member

Hm, now I’ll have to study mine under good light and look for some remnants of black on it. It’s pretty grubby.

Buccaneer
          Participant

US Member
            quote PM T2:

The casting that bolts to the lower unit is supposed to be black, as is the tiller arm.

If I understand, when together, you’d only see the black edge of the casting where it bolts
            to the power head, and the swivel tube shell that clamps around it would be silver?

quote :

All other motor parts, including the cylinder, were painted dull aluminum, or silver, if you will.

By saying "motor parts", are you including the lower unit?

There was no hint of black on the tiller that that I could see when sandblasting,
            unless you’re talking about the four inch metal pipe sticking out of the end.
            It was all rusty, and I had to destroy it to get it out of the tiller handle.

Did they have rubber grips on the tillers back in 1930? Seen photos of other’s
            with them, but not sure if original.

I know the slot in the tiller handle was mentioned in someone’s Speedster thread,
            but what was it for again, and any photos of it installed?

Much appreciated.

Prepare to be boarded!

pm-t2
            Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

The tiller handle paint, I have to look into more in-depth. Seems to me that the short version handle wasn’t black but the longer one was.

For comparison, here’s the Super C, and FWIW the illustration is an accurate depiction of what the stock motor should look like, albiet in B&W.

The Elto’s of 1930-31 did not use any rubber grips on the tiller arm.

The sliding part on the tiller handle you’re referring to is to advance the timing on the Sr Speedster. It was only installed on the electric-start model 311.

Hope it helps.

Best,
              PM T2

Buccaneer
              Participant

US Member

Glad to hear I don’t need a rubber grip. I see in your photos the
                advance lever and cable going to the timer / starter / generator assembly.
                I didn’t realize those units actually charged the battery too.
                I’m thinking that with the extra weight of the electric start,
                and the power drag in "generating mode", my Senior Speedster
                could kick butt, but it would great to have one anyway!
                Thanks!

Prepare to be boarded!

pm-t2
                Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

For the people who have the electric-start version of this or any antique motor, and intend to run them, I recommend disabling the charging circuit, which eliminates two things from happening;

a) you won’t have to worry about any additional "drag" on the motor because of the charging system loading it down, and
                  b) you avoid any possibility of a charging system malfunction, specifically the voltage regulator, which could cause several problems (none of them minor) if it failed to work properly.

FWIW I have a pair of the Super C electrics, and they will wind out every bit as fast as the rope start model. The charging systems are disabled on both of them, as are the compression releases (both plugged).

This is the Sr Speedster with the Owen-Dyneto appliance on it. This motor came from Harry Nicholson, I’ve fired it up on the stand, but she’s nowhere near going on a boat yet. But she’ll get there…. and I bet she will be fun to run.

PM T2

Buccaneer
                  Participant

US Member

Just found this drawing of a Senior Speedster and what
                    you mentioned about the same makes more sense to
                    my dense head now.

Attachments:

Prepare to be boarded!

squierka39
                    Participant

US Member

I have studied mine and have no black on tiller, piece above LU or on exhaust ends. The drawing shows the tiller as dull aluminum too. And the picture on the grab bar discussion with the yellow letters on blue background looks just like mine. Are you sure that year had black on it Chris?

I know it says it is but that drawing you show Buc, isn’t a Senior speedster. Gas cap and fuel line are in wrong spots, Wrong exhaust, etc. I think it’s just a Speedster.

garry-in-michigan
                      Participant

Lifetime Member

According to the advertisements the pump housing was black as were the muffler ends with the edges of the cooling fins polished. . . . 😎

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 16 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.