Home Forum Ask A Member 1931 EVINRUDE 401 QUESTIONS

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    keplerfan
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

So I ordered the battery recommended by Tubs and it turns out that this model 401 (if that is what it is) has great spark. I also found a lower unit with a good skeg which is on it’s way. Now I need to start the motor to make sure it runs right. I need to know the fuel/oil mix ratio as well as the recommended lower unit oil. Also, what is the spark plug I need?

Does anybody have any guesses as to why this model 401 or 407 seven has a battery type ignition? The guy I bought it from claimed it to be a 1935 elto 5.5hp. Is there any chance that this was made by elto?

pm-t2
      Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

By the time that motor was built, Elto and Evinrude were operating under the same umbrella. It has a battery-ignition because it is an Elto. That was one of their distinguishing features. Evinrudes were sold with flywheel magnetos.

I would say that you have a model 401, its the most common one that shows up. Whichever it happens to end up being, it definitely is NOT a 1935 motor. If its a 401, its a 1931 model. 407 would make it a ’32.

Use grease in the lower unit, not oil.

Mix it at 1/3 pint of oil per gallon of gasoline and you can’t go wrong. Original plug was a Champion 6M. You can use a modern Champion D9 or D16

Hope this helps.

Best,
        PM T2

The Boat House
        Participant

keplerfan
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

anybody know the gap for the points?

garry-in-michigan
            Participant

Lifetime Member

Twenty thousandths on the points, twenty five thousandths on the plugs . . . 😉

eltoquad
              Participant

US Member

If that motor has the regular battery ignition used by Elto (Atwater Kent) the points should be at at .009" to .010" , not .020"

keplerfan
                Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I gapped at .020 and got it to fire up once. I can’t get it started now. when checking for spark I notice that the port side spark cuts out but the starboard is fine. Does anybody know what causes this? Can I use a lightfour/zephyr coil in this motor and if so will I need a new condenser?

Tom
                  Participant

US Member

You know you need to ground one side to get spark in the other, right?

T

keplerfan
                    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

there is a ground wire. perhaps the connection needs cleaned?

keplerfan
                      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

there is only one ground. should there be 2?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 16 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.