Home Forum Ask A Member 1932 Johnson K-50 cylinder, etc.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Buccaneer
    Participant

US Member

I opened up the power head on the K-50 today, and at first
      glance, all is swell. Cylinder bores look nice, as well as
      the crank journals, pistons, rings, etc. Crank end play is
      better than normal.
      Anything in particular to be aware of or check out
      on these early Johnsons?

The cylinder bore is still a standard 2-1/8" inch, but
      I think the rings are okay, unless I break one decarboning
      the ring lands. 😮

What are the two different sized studs (with nuts)
      sticking out of the bottom of the cylinder for?

Did the spark arrestor baffles in the cylinder intake
      porting cause any problems on these models?
      If not,
      I’ll leave them in place if they’re not falling apart.

Attachments:

Prepare to be boarded!

garry-in-michigan
      Participant

Lifetime Member

The fact that so many are without those flame suppressors is proof that they eventually end up in pieces in the crankcase, often doing damage to the pistons & rings. If you don’t run it often and start it rich enough that it doesn’t backfire, The flame suppressors could last another 75 years. . . 😉

Buccaneer
        Participant

US Member

Garry, I pulled the flame arrestor baffles out a while ago,
          and they looked in great shape…… no signs of rust,
          cracking, etc.,
          Can’t imagine I’ll put many hours on this engine, so
          I guess I’ll put them back in….. hate to have it catch
          fire the first time I try to start it! 😯
          Thanks for the input!

Prepare to be boarded!

Anonymous

You run the risk, if they break up the pieces will score the cylinders.

Anonymous

My K35 has damage caused by the baffles, they broke out large pieces of the ports in the cylinder. That damage was very hard to repair, and the motor would not run until the missing chunks were replaced.

davidk
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I think the different sized bolts you asked about are for mounting a steering bracket.

Buccaneer
                Participant

US Member

Steering bracket makes sense. Someone did rig up a bracket and lever
                  to hook a throttle cable.

quote DavidK:

I think the different sized bolts you asked about are for mounting a steering bracket.

Prepare to be boarded!

Buccaneer
                  Participant

US Member

A good reminder that these old Johnsons should be tore down for
                    inspection every 80 years or so. 🙂

quote XR55:

My K35 has damage caused by the baffles, they broke out large pieces of the ports in the cylinder. That damage was very hard to repair, and the motor would not run until the missing chunks were replaced.

Prepare to be boarded!

squierka39
                    Participant

US Member

The two studs are for the steering bracket, I think it was an option and many K50’s don’t have it. It’s an aluminum T shape with two holes to attach a steering rope to.
                      The anti backfire baffles, my K80 also has them and I was going to put them back but changed my mind. I was told by another member that today’s gas doesn’t backfire as easily, one reason, and Johnson omitted them around 1937, second reason. So if it’s good enough for Johnson to leave them out I’m leaving mine put.
                      As far as the rest of it, the motor itself and any issues are similar to your a80. Make sure the exhaust is clear, especially at the top of the tower and down the leg.

Buccaneer
                      Participant

US Member

I guess I’ll "Flip a coin" when it comes time to put the anti backfire baffles back
                        in or not! I’m going to tear everything apart, if for no other reason just
                        to sand blast the grime off, so I’ll make sure the exhaust passages are
                        clear. Thanks.

quote SquierKA39:

The two studs are for the steering bracket, I think it was an option and many K50’s don’t have it. It’s an aluminum T shape with two holes to attach a steering rope to.
                        The anti backfire baffles, my K80 also has them and I was going to put them back but changed my mind. I was told by another member that today’s gas doesn’t backfire as easily, one reason, and Johnson omitted them around 1937, second reason. So if it’s good enough for Johnson to leave them out I’m leaving mine put.
                        As far as the rest of it, the motor itself and any issues are similar to your a80. Make sure the exhaust is clear, especially at the top of the tower and down the leg.

Prepare to be boarded!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 16 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.