Home Forum Ask A Member 1932 Johnson K-50 cylinder, etc.

Viewing 6 posts - 11 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    davidk
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years
      quote Buccaneer:

Steering bracket makes sense. Someone did rig up a bracket and lever
      to hook a throttle cable.

quote DavidK:

I think the different sized bolts you asked about are for mounting a steering bracket.

Here’s what that steering bracket, or plate, looks like. I’m sure you could make one.

Attachments:

Buccaneer
      Participant

US Member

Thanks David. I’ll keep the photos for future reference, but
        I have no immediate plans to get a boat with a steering wheel.
        Nice to know what the bolts are for and what the plate looks like!

Prepare to be boarded!

squierka39
        Participant

US Member

My baffles are also in like new condition, I think they are copper. I doubt that the way we run our antiques that it would ever be a problem. I intended to make it all original but since the pistons and rings in mine are from a KD-15 and I need to replace the cracked flywheel I decided it won’t matter anymore. Seem to be a few K-50’s being worked on here and on Facebook forums.

Buccaneer
          Participant

US Member

I won’t have to on this one, but it’s nice to know you can swap pistons from a newer Johnson.
            I got the cylinder and a bunch of nuts painted silver today, and then decided to
            just clear coat the crankcase. Then did a little yard work so the wife
            doesn’t think I spend all day in the garage!

quote SquierKA39:

My baffles are also in like new condition, I think they are copper. I doubt that the way we run our antiques that it would ever be a problem. I intended to make it all original but since the pistons and rings in mine are from a KD-15 and I need to replace the cracked flywheel I decided it won’t matter anymore. Seem to be a few K-50’s being worked on here and on Facebook forums.

Prepare to be boarded!

need2fish
            Participant

While you have the powerhead off the leg, take a good look at the exhaust manifold on the leg and the double 90degree turn it makes into the leg.

That area and the passage all the way down to the L/U are famous for carboning up. It makes the engine difficult to start and very slow to wind up. Wire brush, Seafoam, and maybe some gentle walnut blasting (no sandblasting as this pebbles the inner surfaces and gives carbon a great footing to re-anchor).

Buccaneer
              Participant

US Member

The power head should be back together in a few days
                and I’ll start tearing into the lower unit and check out
                the exhaust passage. Good tip on sandblasting
                and carbon adherence. Too bad they didn’t Teflon
                coat the exhaust passage!
                Thanks.

quote need2fish:

While you have the powerhead off the leg, take a good look at the exhaust manifold on the leg and the double 90degree turn it makes into the leg.

That area and the passage all the way down to the L/U are famous for carboning up. It makes the engine difficult to start and very slow to wind up. Wire brush, Seafoam, and maybe some gentle walnut blasting (no sandblasting as this pebbles the inner surfaces and gives carbon a great footing to re-anchor).

Prepare to be boarded!

Viewing 6 posts - 11 through 16 (of 16 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.