Home Forum Ask A Member 1947 Mercury KD4S Parts Catalogue + Photos

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    wbeaton
    Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

I bought a 1947 Mercury KD4S at the Gravenhurst boat show a few years ago. I put it in the test tank for the first time tonight. It fired right up and pumped water like a fire truck. I couldn’t be happier. Only issue I see is the water jacket is leaking a bit at high throttle. Would anyone have a parts manual they could post? I’d like to see what it looks like before I open it up.

Thanks

Sorry. I forgot the photos! Also I can’t fix the orientation.

Wayne
      Upper Canada Chapter

uccaomci.com

ray-schaber
      Participant

Might be a water teltail and not a leak.
        Ray

wbeaton
        Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

The tell-tale is very obvious and located on the front side of the exhaust cover. The leak is from the water jacket gaskets. No biggie. I found the parts catalogue in my archives. So all is good 🙂

Wayne
          Upper Canada Chapter

uccaomci.com

nabmd
          Participant

US Member

Is that parts catalog available? I have a ’52 Wizard WG4 which I believe is the same basic engine as the Merc KD4, and I could use it.

wbeaton
            Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

PM me your email address and I’ll send it out tomorrow.

Wayne
              Upper Canada Chapter

uccaomci.com

green-thumbs
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Fun motor to work on AFTER you learn their ways. Modular design means lots oi joints and
                all joints have to seal. The leak may be easier to live with for the present than diving into
                for that alone. In any case gaining access to leak will almost certainly cause damage to the
                gaskets that do not leak now, but, will if just put back together.
                Gasket between water jacket and cylinders, gaskets between water jacket and spark plug
                flange, gasket water jacket to water jacket, gasket water inlet tube.
                Plus some time and effort.
                A full tear down to replace all gaskets and seals may not be on your agenda given that
                decals and some parts look good. Leave it be or restore…hard call.
                Louis

wbeaton
                Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

It’s that much effort? I was going to cut new gaskets tonight. I want to run it at the Niagara River Can-Am wet meet on Saturday. Perhaps I’ll hold off until after the meet. It only seems to be leaking between the block and water jacket so I don’t think it will affect running. I’m not planning to restore it. I prefer it like this.

Wayne
                  Upper Canada Chapter

uccaomci.com

wbeaton
                  Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

I just reviewed the parts catalogue again and now I understand what you mean. I didn’t realize the cylinders were inserts. What a crazy way to build an outboard. Reminds me a little of a Flambeau. Thanks for the heads up.

Wayne
                    Upper Canada Chapter

uccaomci.com

garry-in-michigan
                    Participant

Lifetime Member

Have you checked out what is in my Dropbox account ?
                      . . . 🙄

jeff-register
                      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Wayne, I have one just like yours only painted royal blue, Still has the decales too so never been painted? Different early Merc design with Carl.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 20 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.