Home Forum Ask A Member 1947 Mercury KD4S Parts Catalogue + Photos

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    wbeaton
    Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years
      quote Garry in Tampa:

Have you checked out what is in my Dropbox account ?

No I didn’t, Garry. Where is the link located?

Jeff, I would love to see some photos of your blue KD4. Do you think it was a dealer repaint?

Wayne
      Upper Canada Chapter

uccaomci.com

garry-in-michigan
      Participant

Lifetime Member

The link is in any of my posts in the Inner Sanctum – upper left corner . . . 😉

wbeaton
        Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

Thanks. I’ll check it out.

Wayne
          Upper Canada Chapter

uccaomci.com

green-thumbs
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

One very BIG advantage to modular design of the Early Kiekhaefer’s, compression is irrelevant.
            Damaged cylinders or pistons can be replaced. Replacements parts can be sourced
            from a range of models and years. No need to be concerned with over size rings or pistons
            Corvair air cooled engine had same concept of replace problem cylinder, piston and rings
            rather than get into machining and stocking oversize parts. VW beetle also a modular
            design that make rebuilding a remove and replace concept
            Louis

jpatti75
            Participant

US Member

Wayne,

The good guys of the Western New York Chapter have the parts list for all of the early K models posted online, but unfortunately there aren’t any diagrams:

http://pub9.bravenet.com/photocenter/al … /1/115388/

If you PM me with your email address, I can send you it in PDF form (my stinkin’ iPad won’t let me attach PDFs here).

JP

wbeaton
              Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years
                quote jpatti75:

Wayne,

If you PM me with your email address, I can send you it in PDF form (my stinkin’ iPad won’t let me attach PDFs here).

JP

Thanks, JP. I had a soft copy of the parts catalogue in my archives so I’m good. I ran the motor at our wet meet in the weekend. It started and ran, but it had obvious carb problems.

Wayne
                Upper Canada Chapter

uccaomci.com

wbeaton
                Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

Update…

I cleaned the carb and then took the motor to the Upper Canada Chapter meet on Belwood Lake last weekend. It started and ran perfectly. However, it made a grinding noise under throttle that was coming from the lower unit. I pulled the prop and found that it was damaged. The manual shows a slip clutch behind the prop which this one is missing. Would anyone have a photo of the missing parts so I can see what it should look like.

Attachments:

Wayne
                  Upper Canada Chapter

uccaomci.com

dave-bernard
                  Participant

US Member

they can be run without the clutch. it slipped because your prop was not tight enough. put in a new shear pin tighten down firmly add the cotter pin. square up the slots if you need to. you will be fine. ran that way for years back in the 50’s as a kid.

wbeaton
                    Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

An update to the project…had the KD4S on the cartopper today. It ran beautifully. Thanks for all the help.

Wayne
                      Upper Canada Chapter

uccaomci.com

green-thumbs
                      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Running with sheer pin instead of the clutch assembly calls for a minor change to pin
                        in drive hub…a shorter pin and a spring that will fit into groove in drive hub to retain pin.
                        There is a second hole in prop shaft to accept a sheer pin to engage notches in prop/
                        Prop shaft is a hold over from models before adoption of clutch.
                        I would keep an eye open for another propeller and a clutch as having a spare prop is
                        always a good idea. Clutch mostly avoids having to do on the water repairs.
                        Louis

to engage slot in prop hub.
                        I suggest a brass sheer pin instead of steel,

Louis

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 20 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.