Home Forum Ask A Member 1948 Champion Blue Ribbon 2K Lower Unit Seals

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    joemallon
    Participant

Hi, I am relatively new to the world of antique outboards but i can already tell that I am going to wind up joining the AOMCI and making a hobby out of it. I recently bought a 1948 Champion Blue Ribbon 2K Deluxe 4.2hp single in phenomenal shape from the original owners son for $50 with the original manual and parts list! I bought it to pair up with my 1953 Crestliner Commander 12′ aluminum boat. I was able to get the motor running within about a half hour and i have to say that even being 70 years old it runs like it just came off of the assembly line yesterday, I guess they really dont make them like they used to!! The problem that I am having is that before I tried to start it for the first time I changed the lower unit oil but when i popped the plug nothing came out as if it were bone dry, I pumped it full of mercury quicksilver lower unit oil and noticed that there was some bits of old grease that came out of the vent hole. When I test ran the motor in the tank I immediately noticed upon shutting the engine down that there was a heavy film of milky oil and water frothed up on top of the water in the 55 gallon drum. When I checked the lower unit it was bone dry again (not any water in the gear case luckily). So I refilled it with the SAE-90 Quicksilver gear oil again and this time a huge glob of old grease came out of the vent hole at the top. My question is, is it safe to just put marine assembly grease back into the lower unit like the previous owner did and just drain and re-grease it after every time i go out or do I need to completely rebuild the lower unit to avoid causing permanent damage? And is this motor one with the aluminum impeller or a rubber one? Also, if I need to rebuild the lower unit is there anybody here that makes seals and gaskets for them?? Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. I also have a basket case Chris Craft Challenger 5.5hp That i need lower unit seals for.

joemallon
      Participant

Here are some pictures of the motor, the recoil starter is off of it right now because i need to replace the pull rope and rewind the spring. Starts on the first pull with a rope tho so as far as im concerned it is just a cosmetic thing 😀

Attachments:

joemallon
        Participant

A few more of the lower unit and prop

Attachments:

frankr
          Participant

US Member

Don’t expect it to hold gear oil. It is supposed to get outboard motor gear grease (now NLA). Most of use either Lubriplate 105 Motor Assembly Grease or John Deere Corn Head grease.

Water pump is a centrifugal pump with metal impeller. It is a siphon system where water going up is balanced by water going back down. There is no tell-tale nor can there be, as that would admit air and break the siphon. So don’t be drilling holes in it.

Take old seals to a bearing sales place and have them pick something out by size.

chris-p
            Participant

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that motor calls for grease in the LU? Use Lubriplate 105 or John Deere Corn Head Grease.

EDIT Sorry Frank beat me to it.

joemallon
              Participant

Thank you very much!!! Finding the AOMCI and this forum has truly been a lifesaver!! I am heading out now to see if I can track down that Lubriplate 105 or John Deere Corn Head Grease so that maybe after work tomorrow I can drop the boat in the water and putt around one of my local lakes or rivers 😀 ! I am wondering however, how exactly do I properly fill the LU with grease? Do I just use an automotive grease gun and press the fitting end over the drain plug and pump away until it comes out of the vent plug or is there a special fitting that I need to get??? Thank you again for your advice and help, I really do appreciate it!

chris-p
                Participant

You will probably find it in a squeeze tube. Just stick the tip of it in the drain hole and squeeze until it starts to come out of the vent hole then re install plugs. Every now and then, crack the drain screw to let out any water that may have gotten it.

frankr
                  Participant

US Member

The Lubriplate comes in a squeeze tube. Get it at NAPA auto parts stores. Corn head grease comes in a grease gun cartridge.

joemallon
                    Participant

Thank you!

joemallon
                      Participant

Thank you!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 27 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.